• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Manual sparge water amounts possible?

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I've been using BS for a year now to tweak an all-grain, full-boil process in the kitchen using a standard 5-gallon pot.  (I do 3.6 gallon batches which suits me.)  I'm now trying to really dial in the numbers. 

Question:  Is there any way to manually adjust the sparge water used?  I always prepare six gallons, use whatever BS specifies for the initial strike temp (usually just over two gallons), and then sparge with the balance of the six gallons.  After a 168F mash-out, I move the mash from a pot to a lauter tun and then recycle 100% of the "first runnings" and then keep sparging while the first runnings warm on the stove. 

Depending on grist, temps, total pounds, etc., sometimes I use every drop, and sometimes I have the brew pot filled, boiling, and am ready to commence the 60-minute timer and leave some wort unused.  I'd like to somehow be able to specify how much sparge water or wort I actually used. 

My EE% (usually ~74%) is falsely high since I'm using more wort than BS thinks I am.  I'm trying to nail this down so the pre-boil gravity, final gravity and true EE% will be more accurate.  Any workarounds? 

Thx. 

Back