• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Tun Volumes

private4587

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Everyone hope you all have a nice Christmas, I am getting ready to start a new brew in the new year but want to get my Mash Tun volumes right. The last few brews I have done have ended up with more wort than was predicted. I think the reason is in my equipment profile. I am using Beersmith 2.3 and my mash tun has a false bottom. this takes 4litres to fill the dead space, when i drain this through the filter and tap i am left with .5litre in the mash tun. This i think is my problem as I don't know how to account for this additional liquid when working out my strike water volumes. I batch sparge by the way. Could someone kindly explain in plain english how i enter this into Beersmith in order to get correct volumes.

When you look at your equipment profile, there are two values to account for the volume of liquid under your false bottom.  The first is 'Lauter tun losses' which is the volume which cannot be drained from the mash tun.  The second is 'mash tun addition' which is water volume under the false bottom which is recoverable when you drain the mash tun.  So in your case, the amount of 'lauter tun losses' is your 0.5 liters which cannot be drained out and the "mash tun addition" is the 3.5 liters difference of volume under the false bottom but which can be recovered.

it is best to actually measure your real world losses than to accept the suggested values that come in the program.

That goes for everything in the equipment and mash profiles too. Take real world measurements and weights of your own equipment... even if your equipment appears to match what is already listed in the program defaults. Your system can likely have some differences and by fine tuning all the numbers to match your brewery you will get much better results from the software.

Back