• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith won't launch on Arch Linux 64 bits

Exortus

Apprentice
Reaction score
the error I'm getting

beersmith2: error while loading shared libraries: libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I could not find this file in any repository nor in any package.
I have all the dependencies installed

I run 64 bit Debian, and have been seeing similar problems.  I get these references:
No locals.
#3  0x00007f90839d86ac in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0
No symbol table info available.
#4  0x00007f90839d9d25 in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0
No symbol table info available.
#5  0x00007f907f79e8ba in ?? () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0.so.0

At the time Beersmith stopped running, I noticed that Debian had just updated the libwebkitgtk components. 

I think that the problem is in packaging.  For most Linux packages, the dependencies are defined and confined, so that it will prevent automatic updates until it is rebuilt to match.  It's likely that all the Linux distributions will one by one stop running this particular bundle.  It will need to be rebuilt with more modern components to match.

Not sure if that helps.  I haven't had any luck.  If I try to downgrade libwebkitgtk, it would blow away lots of other software.

bhanson said:
If I try to downgrade libwebkitgtk, it would blow away lots of other software.

That's exactly why I havent tried that yet, let's just hope they rebuild it to gtk3.

Yes.  I'm sure Brad will be on it; it's hard to support lots of distributions which all have quirks and differences.  I think this is going to be pretty pervasive though.

Just FYI - I had no issues installing and running Beersmith using Wine, although I don't see how to point it at my document directory without crashing it.  Good enough to make things work until it's fixed.

Exortus said:
bhanson said:
If I try to downgrade libwebkitgtk, it would blow away lots of other software.

That's exactly why I havent tried that yet, let's just hope they rebuild it to gtk3.

Just a quick update, I was able to find that specific library at rpmfind.net. I downloaded the rpm file, extracted and placed it under /lib.
The error was gone but unfortunally the same error happened to other libraries, So, at this point I belive that I'll have to download one by one in order to make Beersmith run.

Yeah.  I guess that would work, and you could probably make a temporary directory and include it somehow in your module path, so that all those files don't just get lost forever in the clutter.  I don't think it's a good idea, but if I get desperate maybe.  In the meantime, I'm running under Wine.  At least I can easily use calculators and so forth, and I can transfer recipes later when things run again.

This has been going on since September with Ubuntu and Mint. I'm starting to think we aren't a development priority, to put it mildly!

I suggested they look into one of the new packaging format, snapd or flatpak, as they can bundle it with statically linked libraries in a sandbox, bin-bang-bim... bob's your uncle, no worrying about dependencies.

After upgrading to Fedora 27 the fix is to leverage the Gnome Cash (gnucash) package which still uses the  libwebkitgtk-1.0 and libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0 libraries which are bundled into the rpm.  Then use symbolic links to address the wxwidgets requirements. For me this will hold until the next beersmith addresses the issue (like port to wxGTK3/wxwidgets3).

The fix for Fedora 27 with BeerSmith 2.3.12:

yum install gnucash
ln -s /usr/lib64/gnucash/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0.22.17 /usr/lib64/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0
ln -s /usr/lib64/gnucash/libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0.so.0.16.19 /usr/lib64/libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0.so.0

Apologies to Debian/Ubuntu users as my getapt is rusty so you will have to adjust the lib locations appropriately.

Unfortunately for Arch Linux users gnucash package was dropped from that distro.

I just want to confirm that this workaround works.  Thanks!

In Debian, the library path should be /usr/lib/x86/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

I hope this gets fixed soon.  This version of webkit-gtk is long-dead upstream and is riddled with security holes.

Back