• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mashing

Bill365

Apprentice
Reaction score
Dear All, is it possible to mash with a base of crystal crushed malt rather than pale or has the CCM been heat treated to the extent that it no longer has the active enzymes to convert the starch? Further if this is the case can I add just a scoop (say 500g) of Crushed Pale Malt and expect the enzymes in this amount to suffice to mash say 3 Kg of CCM?
Merry Christmas
Bill365

No, crystal malt has zero diastatic power. You should have a DP value of at least 40+. Using your example, you would need at a minimum of 1.1 kg of base malt assuming typical US 2-row is about 130 Lintner.

I would do no more than 10-15% per batch in maybe an English Amber. Otherwise, a caramel, sweet, cloying mess would result IMO.

Why do you wish to have a base of crystal?

Mark

Bill365 said:
Dear All, is it possible to mash with a base of crystal crushed malt rather than pale or has the CCM been heat treated to the extent that it no longer has the active enzymes to convert the starch? Further if this is the case can I add just a scoop (say 500g) of Crushed Pale Malt and expect the enzymes in this amount to suffice to mash say 3 Kg of CCM?
Merry Christmas
Bill365

Greetings Bill - I agree with merfizle; why would you wish to have a base of crystal?

I recently posted a question about how to determine when the mash was complete. In doing so, I learned a great deal about mashing and diastatic power of various malts.  This thread may answer your question:

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,17875.0.html

Hope this helps!

There is no need to mash crystal malt. The process used to produce crystal malts converts the starches, making the sugars readily available. Crushing and steeping the grain is all that is required for extraction.

Merry Christmas

If, for some reason, you did want to use exclusively Crystal malts you could also mash with amylase enzyme for conversion [assuming that it's needed].

Back