• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

warm weather experiment porter with belgian yeast (wyeast 322 )

rocky_creek

Apprentice
Reaction score
New to to legal I mean beer brewing. I just started with beer after doing some mighty fine wine and distilled products. I am concerned with the coming summer months. My palette is to say the least unrefined. So the question is if I attempt a porter like grain bill with  wyeast 3522 which does well at higher temperatures can it turn out well. I don't care about being true to style on this. Could it turn out to be enjoyable? I know about wet tee shirts, keezers and all that, not interested. Right now if I can't find a yeast solution I'll try shutting off vents to other rooms to get the utility room as cold as possible, but don't yet know how that will work out.

rocky_creek said:
Could it turn out to be enjoyable?

The high temperatures are likely to give a lot of fruity and spicy notes, typical of a Belgian beer. Whether you enjoy this in a porter-like beer is a matter of personal taste. I am not a big fan of Belgian beers, so I probably wouldn't like it, but other people might love it. The only way to find out is to try it. Even if it isn't great beer, it will be better than doing nothing during the warmer months!

--GF

GigaFemto said:
rocky_creek said:
Could it turn out to be enjoyable?

The high temperatures are likely to give a lot of fruity and spicy notes, typical of a Belgian beer. Whether you enjoy this in a porter-like beer is a matter of personal taste. I am not a big fan of Belgian beers, so I probably wouldn't like it, but other people might love it. The only way to find out is to try it. Even if it isn't great beer, it will be better than doing nothing during the warmer months!

--GF

Use White Labs Abbey I cant remember if its Wlp 530 or WLP570 but abbey is clean and even at 85 it doesn't taste super Belgian.

rocky_creek said:
New to to legal I mean beer brewing. I just started with beer after doing some mighty fine wine and distilled products. I am concerned with the coming summer months. My palette is to say the least unrefined. So the question is if I attempt a porter like grain bill with  wyeast 3522 which does well at higher temperatures can it turn out well. I don't care about being true to style on this. Could it turn out to be enjoyable? I know about wet tee shirts, keezers and all that, not interested. Right now if I can't find a yeast solution I'll try shutting off vents to other rooms to get the utility room as cold as possible, but don't yet know how that will work out.

Greetings rocky - I have used that yeast in the past and found it produced a lot of phenols when I fermented at a high temperature.  That said, what I did, before building a Fermentation chamber, was to simply use a fan.  Set it up and aim it at the fermenter.  Not at all scientific, but it kept air moving around the fermenter and that helped maintain fermentation temperature that was close to or equal to ambient temperature.

And I agree with GigaFemto, brewing is a matter of personal preference.  I have brewed beers that my friends and family rave about, yet I think they sucked! If you?re concerned about the outcome of this brew, than brew a smaller batch.  If you like it, brew a bigger one next time.

Good luck!

Back