• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sorghum Recipe with Honey and Rice

G

gtox

Made a 5 gallon batch with the following ingredients:

7.00 lb White Sorghum Syrup 45 High Maltose (2.5
2.00 lb Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min)
0.25 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 45.0
0.25 tsp Servomyces (Boil 15.0 min)
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 45.0 min)
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 20.0 min)
3.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM)
5.00 gal Water
1 Pkgs American Ale US-05 (Safale)

OG 1.082 Racked to Secondary after 2 weeks was at 1.022

Problem: Still has a sugary taste, in secondary, figured it had more to ferment

Real Question: leave the solution in secondary until all sugar
ferments or am I dealing with a dead dog here?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure on the yeast's tolerance, but thats a pretty high OG, you might just be done fermenting.

gtox said:
OG 1.082 Racked to Secondary after 2 weeks was at 1.022
Problem: Still has a sugary taste, in secondary, figured it had more to ferment
Real Question: leave the solution in secondary until all sugar
ferments or am I dealing with a dead dog here?
You got everything out of the US-05. Most yeast's can chew through about 60 points, after that they die out. It the amount of alcohol in the beer is higher than what the yeast can handle. Two things you can do, 1. Drink and enjoy (Start High, End High), 2. Go to your Local HB store, talk to them and have them recommend another yeast to finish out the job. Granted this will change the characteristics of the beer slightly because of the different yeast, but it will finish out. Anything over about 1.065 to 1.070 and you will hit the ceiling and get sweet beer.
I have a Scotch Ale that starts at 1.104 and finishes about 1.028. During the Primary Fermentation, I roust the yeast twice a day, Aerate once every two days, and feed it sugar every two days for about two weeks. Yes it is sweet, Yes it is Malty, But it is Smooth as Silk!
FYI: If you go to the BC meeting at BIY on the 14th I will have some there for the club to try.

Cheers

Preston

Thank you for that and thank you for the invitation, If I ever get down your way I will take you up on that. Cheers.

So how did it turn out?  Have you made a follow up batch yet?

What did you input into BeerSmith for the White Sorghum Syrup 45 High Maltose?

John

Just a comment - I thought as soon as you got above 1.060 in OG you needed to increase the amount of yeast pitched. Either by doing a jumbo starter or in this case using 2 packs of yeast.

I'll probably brew a big beer in a few months ....

I think that's a great question.
If you wanted to use a yeast strain that's not known for handling a high ABV, around 1.080.  But take the time to build up a nice starter yeast cake. Would that do the job of getting your final gravity below 1.020?

stevemwazup

Back