• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Definition of Lauter Tun Deadspace

Dadoffrosty

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am setting up a Robobrew with pump and was looking for clarification on the amount to input into Equipment profile for Mash Tun Addition and Lauter tun loss. I have 3.4 litres of liquid under the screen. When I open the drain valve I recover 1.9 litres of this liquid.
I have only previously brewed BIAB so I am a little unsure what to put into these boxes for the profile.
Does Beersmith deduct the Mash Tun Addition from the Lauter tun loss and so I just put in 1.9 litres for Mash Tun Addition and 3.4 litres for LAuter tun loss?
Any help from an expert would be appreciated.

The mash tun addition and lauter tun losses are separate volumes.  In your system, they would be additive to the amount of water needed for the mash.

There is a good video of someone stepping through how to figure losses for beersmith on an electric system at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwEbjOt8OR8&t=53s which may be of help.

To be a little more specific about the difference:  Lauter tun dead space is the unrecoverable volume in your mash tun/lauter tun/brew system.  Mash tun addition covers that volume which is not in direct contact with the grains during the mash but does add to the volume of wort drained from the mash.

Oginme said:
To be a little more specific about the difference:  Lauter tun dead space is the unrecoverable volume in your mash tun/lauter tun/brew system.  Mash tun addition covers that volume which is not in direct contact with the grains during the mash but does add to the volume of wort drained from the mash.

Mash Tun Addition is the volume of water in your Robobrew [or Grainfather] that is below the bottom screen in your grain tube [Robobrew has an additional false bottom under the grain tube to prevent particles from getting into the pump]. This water, assuming you are actually recirculating using the pump, does get used in the mash but has to be compensated for otherwise the top of your mash will not be submerged, leading to drastic reduction in conversion and efficiency.
Lauter Tun Losses/Deadspace should be zero due to not transferring form your mash tun to a separate boil kettle.

This does NOT mean there won't be wort loss on transfer, that's just entered elsewhere.

Also of note: I asked if anyone had set up a profile before and more than one person suggested just using the Grainfather equipment profile.
Apparently the GF profile is VERY close to what the Robobrew settings should be.
So I just copied the GF settings and named one Robobrew and have made a few [very few] adjusments. I haven't used the Robobrew yet so I can't comment on how close they are or how close I got with my approximations... I have set up a Su-BREW Bowl party of making a modified English Mild the day of the Super Bowl as the pre-party for the Super Bowl itself.

Cheers and welcome to the wonderful world of brewing!

Back