• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Multiple step boil

esdill

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I brewed a Wee Heavy today and the recipe called for collecting the first two gallons of runnings, boiling for an hour to reduce and carmalize, and then collecting the remainder of the runnings into the boil kettle and boiling the entire amount for an hour. Is there any way to set up a multiple step boil in Beersmith? If I show just a one hour boil my OG is not correct and the timer is not really very useful, and if I show a 2 hour boil my water volume calculations are incorrect based on a full two hour boil. What I need is a way to enter multiple boil steps the same way multiple mash steps can be entered.

Right now there is no way to simulate this in BeerSmith.  I do a reduction for my Scotch ale and just have the step noted in the brewing notes so that it prints out on the brew day sheet.

Back