• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Am I just getting senile?

BOB357

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
After using Excel a lot for the last 7+ years at work you'd think that enabling macros would be automatic. Well, it isn't for me. After using Bru'nwater several times with poor results I noticed that I hadn't been enabling macros. There was quite a difference in pH with them enabled. Didn't look at the other calculations, Was too busy trying to kick myself in the a$$.

Greetings Bob - I often wondered about that aspect of Excel myself and the best I can gather is that Microsoft is simply trying to let users know that there are macros at work and executing in that particular Spreadsheet.  There are those out there who have chosen to write bad macros that can be quite destructive and by Microsoft notifying you ahead of time, they can wash their hands of any possible blame.

But, good tip on Bru?n Water.  I allways allow macros by habit since I have written so many myself in other spreadsheets.  Now I know that Bru?n Water won?t properly calculate without activating macros.  Good catch Bob!

Back