• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermentation Question

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Does it make sense that I can have a pretty thick layer of kreuzen after 6 days of fermentation but not have any activity in the airlock? 

So is it okay to move it over to the secondary or should I give it a few more days to see if all that stuff falls?

Depending on the beer style, temps, etc. six (now seven) days may cut short the yeast's ability to break down the by-products of the ferm such as diacetyl.  Perhaps rouse it well and let gunk settle before the xfer.  It will likely settle and clarify quickly in the secondary.  The surest method is to take a gravity reading with a hydro or refractometer.

Malt,

thanks for the input.  I gave it a few more days and everything fell the way I expected.  I think fermentation temp went a little above what it should of been and perhaps, the reason for my issue.

Does the pH level matter during fermentation?? I bought all the pH products I needed from micro essential labs' website, and they're great quality but I'm not sure what to do with them during fermentation...

+1 to the hydometer
Take hydrometer readings over a few days. If there is no change in the readings your feremntation is probably done.

Back