Author Topic: Mash  (Read 2305 times)

Offline mkenton64

• BeerSmith New Brewer
Mash
« on: January 11, 2018, 12:17:12 PM »
I have a 10 Gallon Herms system.  My question pertains to the mash process. This is my brew day 1-fill the HLT set the temp to whatever I want my mash temp to be. 2-fill the MLT with the amount of mash water I plan on using and start running that clean water through the HLT coil. 3-Once up to temp in the MLT I add the grains and stir to make sure there are no dough balls. 4-Once the grains are saturated I start running the mash through the HLT coil to keep the temp I want to mash at. * Here is my question Should I run the mash through the HLT coil or should I just let the grains sit in the MLT without running through the coil?  What seems to happen it that when I run the mash through the coil the grain bed sets. Am I getting all the converted sugars when I do that? Would it be better to run the mash through the coil and stir it periodically until I need to set the grain bed? Please help me with my confusion maybe I'm over thinking this. Thanks Mike

Offline jtoots

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Mash
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 12:23:52 PM »
I don't have a HERMS so I might be off, but when I fly sparge I let the mash settle through the 1 hour mash rest and it remains settled while I sparge.  The settling of the grains create a filter of sorts so you don't get grains into the boil kettle (sorry if I'm telling you what you already know).  You might get a bit more efficiency by stirring, but probably not necessary, and probably a bit more risk of a stuck sparge... plus less work is always a good thing in my book.

Offline mkenton64

• BeerSmith New Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 02:21:57 PM »
Thanks for your response that puts me at ease somewhat

Offline KipDM

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • Brewing: makes friends and settles nerves!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:19:01 PM »
I have never used a HERMS system so I am unsure of it's exact setup...does the [reheated] wort returning from the HLT flow back into the mash tun at the top or bottom of the grain bed?
Does the returning liquor essentially sparge [attached to an arm or ring]?
Is the liquor getting drained out of the mash tun into the HLT taken from below the false bottom?

If the returning liquor is returned using either a sparge arm or ring at the top of the mash then you should be getting the converted sugars but would get better recovery of the sugars by performing a sparge as your drain from the mash tun to the boil kettle [assuming you don't already].
KipDM
On Tap: Autumn Amber, Columbus Warrior DIPA
Primary: none :(
Secondary: Pumpkin Spice Ale

modification