• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash

mkenton64

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have a 10 Gallon Herms system.  My question pertains to the mash process. This is my brew day 1-fill the HLT set the temp to whatever I want my mash temp to be. 2-fill the MLT with the amount of mash water I plan on using and start running that clean water through the HLT coil. 3-Once up to temp in the MLT I add the grains and stir to make sure there are no dough balls. 4-Once the grains are saturated I start running the mash through the HLT coil to keep the temp I want to mash at. * Here is my question Should I run the mash through the HLT coil or should I just let the grains sit in the MLT without running through the coil?  What seems to happen it that when I run the mash through the coil the grain bed sets. Am I getting all the converted sugars when I do that? Would it be better to run the mash through the coil and stir it periodically until I need to set the grain bed? Please help me with my confusion maybe I'm over thinking this. Thanks Mike

I don't have a HERMS so I might be off, but when I fly sparge I let the mash settle through the 1 hour mash rest and it remains settled while I sparge.  The settling of the grains create a filter of sorts so you don't get grains into the boil kettle (sorry if I'm telling you what you already know).  You might get a bit more efficiency by stirring, but probably not necessary, and probably a bit more risk of a stuck sparge... plus less work is always a good thing in my book.

I have never used a HERMS system so I am unsure of it's exact setup...does the [reheated] wort returning from the HLT flow back into the mash tun at the top or bottom of the grain bed?
Does the returning liquor essentially sparge [attached to an arm or ring]?
Is the liquor getting drained out of the mash tun into the HLT taken from below the false bottom?

If the returning liquor is returned using either a sparge arm or ring at the top of the mash then you should be getting the converted sugars but would get better recovery of the sugars by performing a sparge as your drain from the mash tun to the boil kettle [assuming you don't already].

Back