• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BRY-97

bowhunter64

Apprentice
Reaction score
made an ipa sunday and used BRY-97 yeast i've used it before with good results but ive noticed it takes up to 48 hrs to get rolling. this time it took 4 days! anyone else notice this? I think I'm gonna go back to US-05.

bowhunter64 said:
made an ipa sunday and used BRY-97 yeast i've used it before with good results but ive noticed it takes up to 48 hrs to get rolling. this time it took 4 days! anyone else notice this? I think I'm gonna go back to US-05.

Are you rehydrating it ??

yes I always rehydrate when using dry yeast. I use a sanitized jar with about 2cups of boiled water chilled to about 65-70 deg at least an hr before pitching.

bowhunter64 said:
yes I always rehydrate when using dry yeast. I use a sanitized jar with about 2cups of boiled water chilled to about 65-70 deg at least an hr before pitching.

Hmm, what temperature are you fermenting at?

Sounds like it might be time to either go to slap packs [Wyeast] or making/using yeast starters....

I agree that making a starter would be a plus. I think I know why this happened, my well water is very cold [236 ft deep] and I normally chill my wort to 65 deg but this time I overshot and got it down to 59 then I took it to the basement after pitching the yeast and the coldest corner of my basement stays barely 60 and it has been cold here lately so it could have been even colder. I moved it out to the middle where its warmer and its started to take off. i'll bet everyone wishes they had my problems! lol

bowhunter64 said:
I agree that making a starter would be a plus. I think I know why this happened, my well water is very cold [236 ft deep] and I normally chill my wort to 65 deg but this time I overshot and got it down to 59 then I took it to the basement after pitching the yeast and the coldest corner of my basement stays barely 60 and it has been cold here lately so it could have been even colder. I moved it out to the middle where its warmer and its started to take off. i'll bet everyone wishes they had my problems! lol

Lol you fermented way to cold haha. I've been loving the lucky cold spell I have been having in California so I can brew lagers without a fridge. Been so cold that it's been improving my beers had my California common with San Fran lager yeast ferment at 60f which is pretty hard for me normally it is about 67.

Back