• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

overheated lager during primary - how to mitigate "damage"

rx35285

Apprentice
Reaction score
So my lager was fermenting merrily along at 53* and then my equipment failed overnight.  The temp was 66* when I checked this morning.  I didn't check the gravity, but I will after I get done with my "honey do's".  Fermentation is active so I don't think I'm at the gravity target for lagering yet. 

Assuming it's not ready to lager, should I go back to 53* until it's time for the diacetyl rest according to the gravity reading?

Did I just have an accidental rest? 

My rest target would have been 57-58, so should I drop to that temp for a few hours and leave it until time to lager?  Thanks for the help!

I would lower the temp back to the target slowly so as not to shock the yeast so much.  Then follow your fermentation profile. 

As soon as your controller is fixed I would drop 1 degree per hour or two until back at your optimal fermentation range. For my equipment I use a diacetyl rest of 62 degree, but that could also be the yeast I use. But don't worry about the beer.....just go ahead and brew an ale so you'll have it ready just in case the lager isn't salvageable.  ;)

Back