• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

light hopping

I'm apparently allergic to hops. I want to put the least possible and not totally destroy taste. Not interested in gruit.

rocky_creek said:
I'm apparently allergic to hops. I want to put the least possible and not totally destroy taste. Not interested in gruit.

Your allergic to hops?? Didn't know that was a thing.

You could do a English Mild they are extremely lightly hopped about 0.50 ounces

I've got a recipe file if you want to check it out.

rocky_creek said:
Thanks, looking at a recipe for that now.

if you cannot locate one, here is a file for a recipe that I created for one, :) Since you mentioned you were allergic to hops I added a bit of Cocoa nibs not enough to be really noticeable but enough to add some more bitterness because, boiling cocoa nibs does add to the bitterness so, while the ibus will be 15-20 most will be from the cocoa with just a half a ounce of hops.

Its a very simple beer to make and not high in alcohol but overall a enjoyable beer.

Attachments

• English Mild.bsmx
    19.3 KB · Views: 0
There is a long history of using things other than hops to provide bittering, flavor and aroma to beers.
Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers and  The Homebrewer's Garden are a couple of books that cover the subject.

If you like sour beers, many use almost no hops.

BOB357 said:
There is a long history of using things other than hops to provide bittering, flavor and aroma to beers.
Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers and  The Homebrewer's Garden are a couple of books that cover the subject.

If you like sour beers, many use almost no hops.

He mentioned he didn't want to use anything else if you read up in the thread a bit

Depending on what part of the hops cause your allergy, you might be OK with using distilled hop oil. It might give the flavor of hops without the part that causes you problems. Worth a try, anyway.

--GF

GigaFemto said:
Depending on what part of the hops cause your allergy, you might be OK with using distilled hop oil. It might give the flavor of hops without the part that causes you problems. Worth a try, anyway.

--GF

Maybe that would work, hadn't thought of it. He should ask his doctor though.

Back