• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

over sweet beer

barbender

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all,
In November I fermented a Pale ale which called for 250gms of Dextrose as part of the recipe, I mistakenly poured about 150 to 200 grams of lactose into the fermenter before I realized what it was.  I went ahead with the fermentation anyway, I kegged 9.5 litres in a party keg and bottled the rest.  I sampled a bottle the other day and found it obviously over sweet.  The secondary fermentation in the bottles and keg was done as usual with dextrose, after filling the keg I burped the keg with Co2 just as a sanitary precaution.  The bottle I sampled had gassed quite nicely.  My question is - should I dump the beer in the keg or as it is in a sanitary enviroment can i perhaps hop the beer in some manner to introduce a fair bit of bitterness to offset the over sweet flavour of the lactose.  I obviously would perform the proceedure as as fast as possible, seal the keg and again burp it with C02 to try and retain the carbonation.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated, regards all.

While it it tempting to try to save the batch, I've learned from practice that it is best to just bite the bullet and dump the batch.  I've spent more time trying to blend or save a batch that came out poorly than it took just to brew again it correctly.

Greetings barbender - I totally agree with Oginme.  I too have learned from past experience to simply accept the fact that a mistake was made, learn from it, and move on to the next batch.  If the beer is drinkable, enjoy it.  If it?s not, then feed it to the fish!  ;)

I completely agree with the others, dont waste your time. Could end up costing you more, and not better results (not enough to drink it all anyway).  Try again. I've had to tip out o acouple of brews in the early days, shedding a tear, but had to be done.

Back