• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

my water

rocky_creek

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have my water report from Wards. I have my profile in Beersmith. I believe my water is good to my untrained mind. Of course I can easily find out how to match a water profile for other locations in Beersmith. What I would love to be able to do is input my profile into some web site and let it tell me what beers would match my unaltered water. Sort of a professional critique on line. Other than that I have a lot of reading and understanding to do in order to develop a "perfect" beer cor my location. My water comes from a 400+ well in Georgia with no iron and apparently none of the objectionable dtuff.

pH 8.5
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm      128
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm            0.21
Cations / Anions, me/L /                        2.1 2.4

ppm Sodium, Na                                      15
Potassium, K                                            3
Calcium, Ca                                            26
Magnesium, Mg                                        5
Total Hardness, CaCO3                            86
Nitrate, NO3-N                              < 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S                                            2
Chloride, Cl                                                2
Carbonate, CO3                                          2.2
Bicarbonate, HCO3                                    115
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3                                98
Total Phosphorus, P                                    < 0.01

Total Iron, Fe 0.03 "<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

Any information appreciated.

Although you can find water profiles from many major brewing centers, they do you little good in many cases. Most breweries treat their brewing water so their water is often quite different from the profiles you find for their locations. Beyond that, water sources change seasonally as wellas ofer time and many of the profiles you find haven't been updated in quite some time.

On the brighter side, you have great water. With some simple mineral additions you can brew just about any style  you want. One of the best programs on the web for water building is Bru'n Water by Martin Brungard. It has great water profiles for almost any type of beer you want to brew.

BOB357 said:
Although you can find water profiles from many major brewing centers, they do you little good in many cases. Most breweries treat their brewing water so their water is often quite different from the profiles you find for their locations. Beyond that, water sources change seasonally as wellas ofer time and many of the profiles you find haven't been updated in quite some time.

On the brighter side, you have great water. With some simple mineral additions you can brew just about any style  you want. One of the best programs on the web for water building is Bru'n Water by Martin Brungard. It has great water profiles for almost any type of beer you want to brew.

Yeah, although Wells don't usually change I had my well tested then tested it again 9 months later and it was the same.

Your well water may have gone 9 months without change, but that isn't indicative of wells in general. Most don't change as much as surface water, but they definitely change.

BOB357 said:
Your well water may have gone 9 months without change, but that isn't indicative of wells in general. Most don't change as much as surface water, but they definitely change.

Not significantly though I would wager. My waters high in copper that's about it. And you can taste it so I filter it even though I don't need to in order to cut the copper.

thanks for your input. My well is deep enough I not to worried about it changing.

rocky_creek said:
thanks for your input. My well is deep enough I not to worried about it changing.

Yeah it's deep lol mines only like 280 ish feet  My PPM is about 250-300 usually. Cause of the copper.

Back