• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Refrigerated straight from bottling? Help

Dazlee8

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, I brewed the beer for 2 weeks in the barrel then when adding the sugar for the second stage I instantly refrigerated all the bottles in a cold cellar by mistake.
They have been there a week until I just found out that they should be room temperature at this stage.
I have moved them all back to a room temperature location but I am wondering if I have ruined them?
I tried one and it was pretty flat but they have only been bottled a week
I seen they say if they are stored in a fridge straight from bottling then they will be flat
Will I save them by now moving them back to room temperature?
Its been 3 weeks since I made them in total
Any help I would appreciate

Dazlee8 said:
Hi, I brewed the beer for 2 weeks in the barrel then when adding the sugar for the second stage I instantly refrigerated all the bottles in a cold cellar by mistake.
They have been there a week until I just found out that they should be room temperature at this stage.
I have moved them all back to a room temperature location but I?m wk feting if I have ruined them?
I tried was and it was pretty flat but they have only been bottled a week
I seen they say if they are stored in a fridge straight from bottling then they will be flat
Will I save them by now moving them back to room temperature?
It?s been 3 weeks since I made them in total
Any help I would appreciate

The yeast will wake up and get carbonating that was not long enough to ruin them, all you did was put the yeast to sleep effectively. Just leave them out for about 10-14 days and put them back in the fridge.

I agree they should be fine. I made a similar mistake once, putting bottles into a garage that was too cold, and all it cost me was a bit of time. Yeast are pretty resilient creatures and, as long as you didn't freeze them, they should be able to do their job. The cold will send them dormant and they will settle to the bottom of the bottle. They will wake up when warmed, and if you want to give them a bit of extra help, you could tip each bottle upside down for a couple of seconds to help mix the yeast into the beer again.

--GF

What if I shake them a little as well as holding upside down?

Back