• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

adding FLEX co2 extract to beersmith2

worldzfree

Brewer
Reaction score
I am interested in experimenting with the FLEX co2 extract.  I have the product variables and am curious what to use for my entries in a new "hop" in Beersmith2.  The data sheet states the following:

"FLEX? is produced with a target alpha acids concentration of 65% +/- 5. Standard dosing
calculations typically used for alpha to beer bitterness levels should be used for FLEX? taking
into account differences in utilization and using the alpha-acids content listed in the FLEX?
certificate of analysis. As a general guideline, using the 65% FLEX? concentration and 35%
bitterness utilization, an initial trial dosage is calculated to be 5.2 grams of FLEX? for every 10
BU desired in one barrel of beer (or 1.174 hL beer). Actual utilization may differ and
adjustments are normally required"

I'm assuming I set the alpha acid at 65% but am curious how to best account for the 35% bitterness utilization in Beersmith.  Or am I completely off base?

I also just picked up some FLEX and am trying to add it to my Beersmith somehow. I'll reply later if I find anything in my quest.

There are CO2 extract ingredients added to in BeerSmith3.

The way FLEX states it, the 65% is the AA%.

The utilization is a bit of a red herring. Since this is just CO2 extract, it's basically hops in liquid form and not isomerized until it gets to the boil. They're basically stating that you calculate IBUs exactly the same as if it were just another hop. So, choose your favorite (Tinseth, Rager, Garetz) and that's the hop calculation.

There are extracts that are already isomerized. In that case, the utilization is much higher (up to 100%) and that's what FLEX is contrasting themselves to. Using hop extract won't make your beer inherently better or more bitter. It just reduces the plant matter loss from whole or pellets.

Back