• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

ISO Standars for beer labels?

Ankurnapa

Apprentice
Reaction score
Are there any standards for Beer labels (standardise )
1. What to mention on labels
2. Quality parameters
3 leagal requirements
4. Statutatory requirements

Note: I know it?s diverse form place to place but I am looking for relevant  documents so that I can have general idea .

Will appreciate If you can share pdf of doc file for the same

Regards
Ankur
Napaankur@gmail.com

Ankurnapa said:
2. Quality parameters
3 leagal requirements

Note: I know it?s diverse form place to place but I am looking for relevant  documents so that I can have general idea .

Regards
Ankur
Napaankur@gmail.com

Depends on your country.

Ankurnapa said:
2. Quality parameters
3 leagal requirements

Regards
Ankur
Napaankur@gmail.com

Greetings Ankurnapa - yes, there are very distinct labeling requirements.  For example, beer produced in Michigan will have labeling stating that there is a deposit on the bottle; that goes for several other states as well.  I believe the intent here is to promote recycling.  I live in Illinois and we have a Government warning about the dangers alcohol has on pregnancies; I believe that is a Federal requirement, but I?m not sure.

So, yes there are distinct laws governing the labeling.  However, the extent of which depends on the state the beer has originated as well as the distribution of the product.  So, my suggestion is to visit your states website.  Perhaps you will find specific information.  Alternatively, read the labeling from a beer produced in your state.

Hope this helps!

Ankur,

I think the standard you are looking for is  ISO 67.160.10 (Alcoholic beverages).  I can find the listing but not the actual standard itself to see if the international standards for labeling are included.

Thanks CK27, Keller and specially Oginme for providing useful information for my queries.
Looking for more similar answers ....
From respective countries you all are living in ...

Ankurnapa said:
Thanks CK27, Keller and specially oginme for providing useful information for my queries.
Looking for more similar answers ....
From respective countries you all are living in ...

I'm in the United States, and I haven't looked but I'm pretty sure California has some harsher laws than a lot of other states.

CK27 Can you please Share those regulation documents with me if possible.
Napaankur@gmail.com

California Labeling Rules

(a) A package or sealed container of beer shall not be sold in this state without having a label affixed to such package or container. The label shall meet the requirements of federal malt beverage labeling regulations contained in Parts 7 and 16 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, regardless of whether the label is subject to approval by the federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau or any successor agency.

(b) (1) In addition to label requirements pursuant to subdivision (a), if not already included, the following information shall appear on the label:

(A) The brand, and class or type, of beer.
(B) The true and correct name and address of the manufacturer of the beer. For purposes of this provision, if multiple beer manufacturers are involved in the production of the beer pursuant to a joint venture or other collaborative arrangement, each of those manufacturers may be identified on the label.
(C) The true and correct name of the bottler of the beer, if other than the manufacturer.
(D) A statement of alcoholic content if the beer contains more than 5.7 percent alcohol by volume.

(2) For purposes of this subdivision, the true and correct name of a manufacturer, bottler, or packager shall be deemed to include a fictitious business name for which the manufacturer, bottler, or packager has duly filed a fictitious business name statement pursuant to Section 17900.

(c) Prior to the first sale of a brand of beer in this state, the manufacturer of that beer shall register the brand with the department. Upon the filing of the registration with the department, the brand may be sold in this state without further action by the department. The registration shall include the following:
(1) The true name and address of the actual manufacturer of the beer.
(2) Any fictitious business name of the manufacturer under which the beer is manufactured.
(3) The class or type of beer and all brand names under which the beer is to be sold in this state.
(4) If manufactured under contract for another beer manufacturer or other person, the true name of such other beer manufacturer or person.
(5) If manufactured pursuant to a joint venture or other collaborative arrangement, the name and address of all manufacturers involved in the joint venture or other collaborative arrangement.

(d) The manufacturer of the beer shall be responsible for compliance with the requirements of this section. In the case of beer manufactured pursuant to a joint venture or other collaborative arrangement, only the actual manufacturer of the beer need comply.

(e) If beer is sold or offered for sale in this state without first complying with the provisions of this section, or violates any other provision of this division, the department may take such action as it deems reasonable and necessary, including, but not limited to, ordering that the beer no longer be sold or offered for sale until such time as the requirements of this section are complied with. Nothing in this section shall be deemed to prohibit the department from permitting beer that is sold or offered for sale in this state that does not comply with the requirements of this section to continue to be sold or offered for sale for a reasonable period of time to allow the manufacturer to meet the requirements of this section.

Back