• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

sparging

F

flip

Hi,

I'm playing around with the program and I have a question.

How do I add the sparge water when I make a brew?

I'm a batch sparger, and I just added 'batch sparge' instead of mash out for the second step.

Do I simply add batch sparge 2 for the 2nd batch of sparge water as well?

The thing is, is that I didn't see any info. on spargeing.

Could you please tell me where it is?

Hi,
 This is something I probably need to add to the FAQ as there appear to be plenty of batch spargers out there!

For batch sparging, I recommend using the the Single Infusion mash profiles with "No Mash Out" which are basically one step mashes without the "mash out" step.

The amount of sparge water to heat up for your batch sparge will be calculated automatically if you have your equipment set up properly.  

The only other issue to watch out for when batch sparging is the fact that you probably will achieve a slightly lower brewhouse efficiency than with a traditional sparge which you can account for by lowering the "Brewhouse Efficiency" number for the batch.

I intend to update the FAQ in the next few days with some additional information on these topics, but I stand ready to answer any particular questions you have.

Thanks!
Brad   :)
www.beersmith.com

Back