Author Topic: Top 10 hops used in craft brewing industry.  (Read 3400 times)

Offline Ankurnapa

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
    • Sohambrews
Top 10 hops used in craft brewing industry.
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:57:13 AM »
Hello everyone
Can anyone tell the top 10 hop varieties used in their particular region or the most selling hop varieties or the most consuming varieties .

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
Re: Top 10 hops used in craft brewing industry.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 02:32:34 AM »
Hello everyone
Can anyone tell the top 10 hop varieties used in their particular region or the most selling hop varieties or the most consuming varieties .

Its all personal preference but the US has a large hop growing region and I would have to say the #1 most used American hops would be the following. Not all are from the US though.

1. Cascade
2. Centennial
3. Citra
4. Meridian(rare hop that I specifically use in my IPA)
5. Northern Brewer ( Hop used in Anchor Steam Beer/California Common/Lagers.
6. US Fuggles
7. East Kent Goldings
8. Motueka
9. Saaz
10. Liberty(lager Hop, Spicy Herbal qualities good in Mexican Style Vienna Lagers)

Offline Oginme

• Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 05:39:38 AM »
The last survey from the Brewer's Association from 2016 had the following hops listed from most popular on down:

1   Cascade
2   Centennial
3   Chinook
4   Simcoe
5   Citra
6   Hallertau Mittelfruh (GR)
7   Amarillo
8   Crystal
9   Magnum (GR)
10  CTZ (Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus)

Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline Ck27

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 11:34:30 AM »
The last survey from the Brewer's Association from 2016 had the following hops listed from most popular on down:

1   Cascade
2   Centennial
3   Chinook
4   Simcoe
5   Citra
6   Hallertau Mittelfruh (GR)
7   Amarillo
8   Crystal
9   Magnum (GR)
10  CTZ (Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus) to

Hallertau mittelfuh? Really? Well I regularly talk to breweries never really been told they use it. So I'm suprised. Magnum I could see. same with Crystal.

Offline brewfun

• Malt dust is just alcohol's glitter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 03:38:50 PM »
Hallertau mittelfuh? Really? Well I regularly talk to breweries never really been told they use it. So I'm suprised. Magnum I could see. same with Crystal.

Ever had a Sam Adams Boston Lager? That's Hallertau Mittelfruh.

The Hallertau Region of Growers makes an annual trip to the US for the Craft Brewer's Conference. They hold a brewer's reception where the have samples out of the various strains, new and old. This has created a lot of renewed interest in old world hops.

BTW, Magnum and Crystal are variations on Hallertau Mittelfruh. Hersbrucker is a Mittelfruh and Saaz triploid, which was bred as a replacement for Mittelfruh due to disease issues.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

Offline Ck27

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 05:00:04 PM »

Ever had a Sam Adams Boston Lager? That's Hallertau Mittelfruh.

The Hallertau Region of Growers makes an annual trip to the US for the Craft Brewer's Conference. They hold a brewer's reception where the have samples out of the various strains, new and old. This has created a lot of renewed interest in old world hops.

BTW, Magnum and Crystal are variations on Hallertau Mittelfruh. Hersbrucker is a Mittelfruh and Saaz triploid, which was bred as a replacement for Mittelfruh due to disease issues.

Ah lol, well I didn't know that I use Saaz a lot it's a favorite hop alongside East Kent and Meridian which is rare as it's pretty new. Meridian is one of my secrets in umm ipas. Same with Jester