• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wyeast 1968 fermentation length question

GoodNewsBrews

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey brewers!  I am wondering, with Wyeast 1968 (comparable to WLP002) how long is too long in primary and secondary if I will bottle carbonate.  I know this yeast flocs like crazy and I bottled an IPA using it a week ago which resulted in almost no carbonation after 1 week (I know, too early to tell, but still less than normal).  I also know it ferments very quickly, so would 3 weeks total before bottling be too much, just right or what?  I don't want to repitch before bottling.  Thanks for letting me know!

Vance

Probably not the best strain to bottle carbonate with since it flocculates so well. If I didn't force carb, I would add a bit of dry Nottingham yeast to a bottling bucket.

Cheers,

Mark

With highly flocculant yeasts such as WY1968, I usually dip the end of the siphon into the last of the beer after swirling up just a bit of the yeast cake on the bottom of the carboy.  It doesn't take very much, just enough to see it going cloudy as it enters the siphon tube.  I've gone three weeks with WY1968 often, including a cold crash just before bottling. 

Thanks merfizle and Oginme.  I see the error of my ways with the IPA.  Any thoughts on how to save the beer that's not carbonating?  I mean there was a little pssht after 1 week.  I see some in the bottle when I swirled them all the day after testing.  Thoughts?  The current temp is 72 and I swirled them after 1 week.

Leave them sit for another week and try one after refrigerating for a couple of days. With less yeast it'll take more time.

BOB357 said:
Leave them sit for another week and try one after refrigerating for a couple of days. With less yeast it'll take more time.

^^  This! ^^ 

I set aside and mark the last two bottles I fill for testing carbonation.  I almost never test one of the bottles before 2 weeks and never until they have spent a couple of days in the refrigerator.  By the time I usually get around to testing the first bottle, the batch has been at room temperatures for at least 2-1/2 weeks.  If it turns out fine, then I put the second bottle in the refrigerator and carry the rest of the case down to my basement for cool storage. 

I also find that if I am carbonating to CO2 volumes less than around 2.2 volumes, that it will take a full 3 weeks to reach final carbonation.

Thanks BOB357 and Oginme, I normally wait a week to see if I have carbonation going on, but I will begin to wait at least two, no point in wasting beer! 

Back