• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Safale us 05 not starting

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

Did a brew yesterday all went well.

I tried a different yeast this time safale us 05.

Normally I use s-04 and by the next morning it?s bubbling away quite aggressively.

I?ve been to check the activity this mor big and nothing is happening. I?ve opened the lid and there?s  no krausen. 

Any advise or is this normal? I?ve given the wort a rouse to get some air into it.

Thanks

MRMARTINSALES said:
Hi,

Normally I use s-04 and by the next morning it?s bubbling away quite aggressively.

I?ve been to check the activity this mor big and nothing is happening. I?ve opened the lid and there?s  no krausen. 

Any advise or is this normal? I?ve given the wort a rouse to get some air into it.

Thanks

What temp do you have it fermenting at? US-05 likes it a tad bit warmer but ive never ever had it fail to take off. Its been the most reliable yeast ive used  so something is for sure off. As ive had it showing activity within 3 hours before.

Did you accidentally pitch it to warm or something?

Yeast pitched at 18 degrees c and maintained at 18 degrees c. Would lack or aeration be the issue here? As I filled the F.V from the bottom so not much was splashing around. I always fill from the bottom when using s-04 and never had an issue

MRMARTINSALES said:
Hi,

Thanks

Greetings MRMARTINSALES - three things come to mind:

1) did you rehydrate the yeast prior to pitching?  I?ve learned that this is a step that should not be overlooked.  I also learned that adding a yeast  nutrient aids in the process of ?waking up? the yeast and making them ready for pitching.

2) was the yeast at the same temperature as the wort (or water if you rehydrated)?  I made the mistake recently where I took a packet of yeast from the freezer (O degrees F) and pitched it directly into water at about 78 degrees F.  36 hours later, I had no fermentation.  Fortunately, I had a spare packet of US05.  I rehydrated the US05 and pitched it with both at the same temperature.  My fermentation started in about 8 hours.  I believe I shocked the yeast from the first packet by introducing it into an environment that was about 80 degrees difference.  That?s a no-no! My bad!!

3) lastly, yes, there may not have been enough oxygen in the wort for the yeast to reproduce.

Moving forward, give it a little more time.  If nothing starts, try oxygenating and pitching another batch of yeast that has been properly rehydrated.

Good luck!  I hope it works out for you!!

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. I came home today and the airlock is bubbling away nicely so all is good. Really appreciate the advice and experiences from you fellow brewers. This forum is invaluable to me and the advice I?ve received on here has bailed me out loads of times. Thanks folks

I had exactly the same issue, it was the first time I used a Second hand STC - 1000 controller, it was over reading by 1.5 deg C, so the wort was too cool @16.5c  :-\ bumped it up but still no vigorous activity after 5 days, but OG has dropped by 10 points so something is happening  :D

Love this hobby, calibrated all three of my controllers now.

MRMARTINSALES said:
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. I came home today and the airlock is bubbling away nicely so all is good. Really appreciate the advice and experiences from you fellow brewers. This forum is invaluable to me and the advice I?ve received on here has bailed me out loads of times. Thanks folks

You are welcome, you really don't need  to rehydrate dry yeast like what was said. You can but I never have and never had issues. Seems like your yeast just was taking it's time, it happens. Glad to hear that it's going well.

Greetings MRMARTINSALES - I have taken the time to locate three articles written by three very notable authorities in the subject of home brewing and the rehydration of dry yeast.  You may find these short articles interesting.

Brad Smith:
http://beersmith.com/blog/2018/01/03/the-right-way-to-hydrate-dry-yeast-for-beer-brewing/

Homebrewers Association:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/rehydrating-dry-yeast/

Northern Brewer Supply:
https://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2010/06/the-importance-of-being-hydrated/

I look at it like this: NOT hydrating dry yeast is like jumping into your car with 4 flat tires and heading up to the store.  Will you eventually get to the store?  Yes, you will, but at what cost.  The bigger question is: Why would you even attempt it?  Isn?t it better and safer to simply put air in the tires before you leave?

I?m glad your brew finally took off!

Good luck!

Thanks for links about rehydrating yeast. I?ve never dehydrated yeast using water or nutrients. I simple take a bowl of my chilled wort. Throw my dry yeast in and whisk it up before tipping into my FV. Never had a problem with that although everything I read is about re hydrating using water and nutrients

Back