• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Barrel Aging

Nestoridae

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm planning to prepare my own vermouth at home and then age it in an oak barrel (around 10L). WAIT, I know this is a Beer forum. I've been home brewing beer for several years now.

I'm thinking AFTER I drink all that vermouth, I wanted to brew beer and then use that barell to age it. I'm asking for advice to my fellow brewers.

- I've heard that as vermouth has lots of herbs, the beer would change its taste too much. In fact I've been trying to find online a vermouth barrel aged beer with poor luck. Is it a bad idea? What do you think?

- What stile of beer would match with the barrel flavour? I'm thinking a porter or a Belgian Ale, but belgian Ales are already sweet...

I'd be glad if anyone with experience threw me some advice.

I'm hoping that you intend to bottle the vermouth, then immediately put a beer int the barrel. You don't want the barrel to dry out or sit unfilled for very long.

The only reason you'd put beer into a used barrel is because you want it to take up the flavors of the previous resident.

brewfun said:
I'm hoping that you intend to bottle the vermouth, then immediately put a beer int the barrel. You don't want the barrel to dry out or sit unfilled for very long.

The only reason you'd put beer into a used barrel is because you want it to take up the flavors of the previous resident.

Yep, unless it's a new barrel lol. Then you want it to take up the flavors of the barrel itself. Should work out well with a porter or stout.

Back