• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Frequent Crashes While Entering and Viewing Recipe

escarpmentbrewing

Apprentice
Reaction score
Over the last month have been experiencing frequent application hangs when viewing and editing recipes. I have gotten to where I will save after each two or three ingredients entered - however tonight that didn't even protect me as I had saved five or six times, entered the grain, yeast, and was into the hops when the lock up occurred. Waited a minute, force quit the program, and returned to just the initial save of the title of the recipe.

System is Windows 10, latest version of BeerSmith.

If I was to guess I would think some type of file or database corruption. Not sure if there is some type of re-index or database maintenance routine that I should try. Would hate to think that I have to copy out all of the data and re-enter.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

escarpmentbrewing said:
Over the last month have been experiencing frequent application hangs when viewing and editing recipes. I have gotten to where I will save after each two or three ingredients entered - however tonight that didn't even protect me as I had saved five or six times, entered the grain, yeast, and was into the hops when the lock up occurred. Waited a minute, force quit the program, and returned to just the initial save of the title of the recipe.

System is Windows 10, latest version of BeerSmith.

If I was to guess I would think some type of file or database corruption. Not sure if there is some type of re-index or database maintenance routine that I should try. Would hate to think that I have to copy out all of the data and re-enter.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

it could be a corruption or a issue with your antivirus one of the softwares that I used deleted some beersmith stuff and I had to reinstall and switch to a different antivirus.

That fully solved the problem.

Greetings escarpmentbrewing - I have had similar problems with other programs running on my wife?s Windows 10 system.  I believe the reason is because Microsoft has forced us to automatically install any and all updates that are needed whenever Microsoft chooses to install them. I?m not happy with this aspect of Windows 10, but....

So, what we had to to is simply reinstall the various software packages.  That?s it.  For some reason, these updates I referred to somehow alter, change or delete files that are necessary for other software to function correctly.  Thanks Mr. Gates!

I would try reinstalling first.  Don?t uninstall, just install over the old.  This will reconstruct the files needed for BS2 to run properly.

Good luck!

That makes sense - I do a lot of test and development on my home machine so things are always getting moved on and off. Have done the re-install in place and will update with observations after my next brewday.

Cheers and thanks very much for your advice!

Updating with additional information

Thanks again for the ideas around reinstalling the software. I reinstalled and it worked well until the next windows update. Same symptoms started reoccurring again. I have reinstalled again to see if it resolves the problem again.

Considering launching the program with a batch file that does a reinstall each time :)

Thanks again - will report back on results of the second reinstall.

Well - I think that I just entered my last recipe into BeerSmith  :( :( :( . Took 5 crashes to enter the entire recipe - lost data each time even saving after every ingredient. Too much work.

For people who are looking at this thread I can say that it does not matter about the updates. I did not have any updates between the last install and using it to try to put in this recipe.

I am going to miss BeerSmith but can't take the stress of entering data without knowing if the data will be there after a crash.

Yip, I'm having the same issue.

I've installed the latest version on top of the latest edition I was already using - still crashes/hangs

I updated thread: http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,17878.0.html with it.

Today I'm brewing and had enough of the hangs. So decided to save off all my recipes, water profile adjustments, malts, hops, equipment, mash profiles I had set, screen dumps of various 'options' changes etc (why is there no option for a back up of this?)... then uninstalled Beersmith, copied the folder Documents\Beersmith2 then deleted the original, CCleaner registry clean. Then reinstalled the latest version fresh.

...Without adding any of of my saved items (above) I created a fresh recipe and it saved (wow I thought). The next option is the close/exit Beersmith and see if it closes ok (it would also hang trying to close) and bang...there's the crash/hang. open Beersmith again and my new fresh recipe on a fresh install of Beersmith is gone!

I've tested this twice now and still get the hang/crash, doesn't matter where you create or save the recipe.

thoughts?

I could tell you my thoughts right now, but I might be banned from the forum. I've been using Beersmith for 3+ years now without issues.

Back