• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Late hop additions for flavour

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

Why is it that no matter how late i add my hops (my recent brew had all hops added withing 15 Minutes) does my beer never seem to be very flavourful, its really annoying me. My calculations ensure that my beer is coming in around 37 IBU. Every beer i make never seems to have much flavour to it.

Anybody any ideas?

Thanks

Generally, flavoring stage is between 30-15 minutes left in the boil. Aroma stage is strongest at 5 minutes or less, flameout, whirlpool/hop stand or dry hops.

Cheers,

Mark

Water chemistry can also have a big impact on hop perception. Higher Sulfate and high Sulphate/Chloride ratio enhance the hop bitterness. Do you address this in your brewing?

--GF

I like the water suggestion... is the flavor deficiency specific to hop flavors, or are you getting a lack of malt flavors too?

Have you tried a steep/whirlpool addition?  Chill to about 170 degrees, add some hops, stir for 15 min or more.

What's your chilling methodology?

Back