• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

mash is too thick

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my last post for a while as im conscious that ive posted alot lately

On my latest brew i sued 5.6Kg of pale malt and beersmith told me to add 14.6 litres of water to it.

The mash was incredibly thick and it was very difficult to actually mix together. Anybody else experienced this at all? it could have just done with another couple of litres but didnt want to go against what it was telling me.

Thanks

The mash thickness if adjustable in the mash window. Just double click on the mash step and adjust the amount of water for that step. If you have a particular water to grain ratio that you would like to set as a default value you can do that in the mash proflle(s).

The default mashing profiles start with a water/grain ratio of 1.25 gts/lb (approx 2.6 liters/kg), which is what you got. Of course  you can change it to anything you want, as Bob pointed out. That number is considered a "sweet spot" for conventional mashing. As I understand it, this ratio gives good efficiency and also a well-behaved grain bed for lautering. For BIAB the water to grain ratio can be as high as 3 qts/lb (> 6 l/kg) with no ill effects, since the grain bed doesn't matter. If you measured accurately, then the quantities you listed should not have produced an overly thick mash. Are you adding the water to the grain or vice-versa? I find it much easier to get a good mixture if I heat the water first, then add the grains slowly while stirring and poking to avoid any dough balls.

--GF
P.S. I don't think there is a budget on posting. As long as you continue to be polite and courteous, post as much as you like.

MRMARTINSALES said:
Hi,

This is my last post for a while as im conscious that ive posted alot lately

Thanks

GigaFemto and Bob357 covered the mashing part well.  I just wanted to back up GigaFemto's comment on posting. There really is no known limit for posting reasonable questions or inquiries.  And yours have been very reasonable!

Back