• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cold Crash and Kegging

tdibratt

Brewer
Reaction score
I just made a Blonde Ale.  Kegged  it yesterday in my 19L Sanke style keg.

Put it in my keezer at about 45 F.  I just poured out a few glasses and noticed it?s very cloudy.  I was expecting the cold crash to clear it up.  It?s not very carbonated yet.  I have it at 12 psi, so figure it will be a few days yet before more carbed.

Should I drop the temp colder?  Will that help to clear it up?  I read somewhere that folks do the cold crash in a keg and while the first glass might be cloudy from settling the next glass will be cleared but not sure if in my case with a sanke style keg and spear if that would be different.

Thx

tdibratt said:
I just made a Blonde Ale.  Kegged  it yesterday in my 19L Sanke style keg.

Put it in my keezer at about 45 F.  I just poured out a few glasses and noticed it?s very cloudy.  I was expecting the cold crash to clear it up.  It?s not very carbonated yet.  I have it at 12 psi, so figure it will be a few days yet before more carbed.

Should I drop the temp colder?  Will that help to clear it up?  I read somewhere that folks do the cold crash in a keg and while the first glass might be cloudy from settling the next glass will be cleared but not sure if in my case with a sanke style keg and spear if that would be different.

Thx

Colder should help, some beers take a long time to clear up. It takes my lagers a month to clear up and some ales 3 weeks. Give it some time :), plus the beer will taste better.

Colder will keep it from oxidizing longer.  It will also help clear the beer.  But, just two days after kegging is a bit premature to judge.  After being fully carbonated and a coupe weeks for clarifying and flavor stabilization, the beer is close to if not at it's final stage.  It will keep clarifying over time when kept cold.  Best to drink a blonde ale right away anyway. 

I always taste along the journey from just kegged until the last pint.  I just wish I kept better notes along the way.

jomebrew said:
Colder will keep it from oxidizing longer.  It will also help clear the beer.  But, just two days after kegging is a bit premature to judge.  After being fully carbonated and a coupe weeks for clarifying and flavor stabilization, the beer is close to if not at it's final stage.  It will keep clarifying over time when kept cold.  Best to drink a blonde ale right away anyway. 

I always taste along the journey from just kegged until the last pint.  I just wish I kept better notes along the way.

I should keep tasting notes as well lol. I don't Oh well.

Thanks folks, I will keep monitoring it.  Looking forward to it clearing up.  I read some folks use fining.  Maybe I could have used some when I kegged it to help speed it along.  Perhaps the next batch.

tdibratt said:
Thanks folks, I will keep monitoring it.  Looking forward to it clearing up.  I read some folks use fining.  Maybe I could have used some when I kegged it to help speed it along.  Perhaps the next batch.

Sometimes I use whirlfloc tablets it I really care, they work really well and beers come out looking like a big brewery made them.

tdibratt said:

All brewers I know use finings.  However, cold crashing (rapidly cooling), and cold aging a few weeks will also clear most beers.  I'm too eager to have my beer for that though, so I fine with Whirlfloc and recently used gelatin with my first lager.  It is crystal clear which I prefer when I drink beer.

Hi folks, have had my brew (Dirty Blonde Ale) in keg for a week now at about 37 Deg F on 11-12 PSI.

Here is a pic of a glass.  I am not getting much head, maybe 1/2 inch sometimes and bubbles in the foam look really big.  When I look at the glass I see some bubbles moving from bottom to top of glass and if I swirl the beer I see a lot of bubbles at the top make their way down.

Can't figure out what might be off.  Was expecting more fizz and little more head on the beer.

Any ideas?

thx

Attachments

• IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 413
Leave it for another week or so, it isn't fully carbonated yet. Also, if you haven't already, look at a carbonation chart and make sure your pressure and temperature correspond with the level you want.

Back