• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How to add hop addition below 176?F to Beersmith?

Flaschenpost

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Dear Beersmith Community,
I usually build my recipes hopwise the way that I use a couple of hop additions to bring in both bitterness and some aroma. After the boil, I chill to 75-80?C (167-176?F) and add more hops for ~30mins for aroma only, as the alpha acids do not isomerize at that temperature anymore. I am trying to find a way to get this particular way of adding hops into beersmith, but I can't make it work. Whatever I do, the "whirlpool" addition always counts this as adding a lot of IBUs. To work around I mark it as "dry hop for 0 days", but that surely is not helpful if I share the recipes or make them publicly available.
Is there a way to add my >176?F hop addition properly in Beersmith?

Thank you in advance,
Alex

The steep/whirlpool utilization is found at Options > Bitterness. Here you can change the isomerization to reflect your equipment, based on 90C.

In your equipment profile, the "Whirlpool Time above 85C" should be set to 0 because of your chill process. You can also uncheck the "Estimate Boil Hop Util..." if you think isomerization of boil hops is complete.

FWIW, the IBUs can sometimes just be numbers on a page and may not reflect your actual finished beer. Take advantage of some of the lab evaluation specials that come up, so you can compare that to the estimates. Many reports come back with surprisingly low IBUs compared to the recipe estimate. There's far more pathways for IBU loss than introduction.

What Brewfun said.  Here is some reference documentation http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/09/15/whirlpool-and-no-chill-hop-features-in-beersmith-2-3/

Thank you very much for your quick answers. I changed my equipment profile to "Whirlpool Time above 85?C: 0 min" and unchecked the box to not count the later hop additions into bitterness, yet it had no impact on the calculations. While viewing the recipe, I even selected a different equipment profile and reselected my main one again, but when I added a whirlpool hop addition, it still added a lot of IBU.
I don't want to change the bitterness at 90?C in the general options to 0 because I do occasionally brew on a different equipment on which we mainly add our bitterness by high temperature whirlpool hop additions. Any further advice?

Best,
Allex

Flaschenpost said:
I changed my equipment profile... yet it had no impact on the calculations.
<snip>
Any further advice?

I'm not sure if there is much more to do, except relax, don't worry, yada, yada....  :D 8)

You can export your recipe as a .bsmx file and we can look it over for any other errors.

[Highlight your recipe] > From the Home ribbon: Export Sel > Choose the destination folder > Name the file > Upload it here as an attachment.

The way I did it was how brewfun indicated.  go to tools, options and then bitterness
Change the Steep/Whirlpool Util Factor to 0
Select OK

Next I created a Misc item called Cool to 170, set it to 1 min boil, when you add it to your recipe, it will be sequenced correctly

Now when you add Whirlpool hops, they won't add to the IBUs in the desktop app, Mobile is another story as that option is not available
For example, on my desktop, IBUs are 46.3, on my phone, same recipe, 115.8

Good luck
Rick

Back