• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Looking for a Hop Historian

H

HighLonesome

Hey now--I'm in New Hampshire, and have a curious scenario.  There is an old farm nearby that is currently being run primarily as a gentleman's farm.  along the road, there are several clumps of naturalized hop plants growing wild.  These clumps have been producing like gangbusters, and I have attained permission to 'help myself' to these wonderfully aromatic plants. 

So the question then becomes--what do I have here?  I'm no expert, and my local brewer's shop wasn't able to determine much either.  Has anyone compiled information of what hop plants were commonly planted in New England in the early 1800's? 

And the next part is going to be interesting, as I will be harvesting a whole bunch of these and will be brewing up my first cockt-ales with these crazy wild antique/heirloom hops! 

Anyone have any thoughts? 

Thanks!

Not a Hops Historian, But I like HOPS, does that count?
Seriously, check this post which points to some good reference material about HOPS Triation.
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=1404.0
Hops were brought over in the late 1600's from what I have read, and it could be anything. The best thing to do would be get the AA content and brew with it as a finishing hops to try and distinguish its type.
Sorry I could not be of more help.

Cheers

Preston

That is beneficial--thank you.  I will look into having them tested, but right now, harvest and curing is on my immediate itinerary. 

Back