• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

poor beer body

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

I think ive messed up my mash on my latest beer. My beer tastes very weak. I've out it in a cask and have just sampled it.

Does anybody have any advice on how i can add some body to my beer to make it a little more drinkable? and what quants need adding?

Thanks

MRMARTINSALES said:
Hi,

I think ive messed up my mash on my latest beer. My beer tastes very weak. I've out it in a cask and have just sampled it.

Does anybody have any advice on how i can add some body to my beer to make it a little more drinkable? and what quants need adding?

Thanks

You should mash at 152-154 which activates both enzymes and always seems to help my beers out when it comes to body. Otherwise add maltodextrin it does add body to a beer and improve mouthfeel.

Martin,

Without a recipe and brewing conditions, it is hard to give specific advice on how to improve your situation. 

Some of the things that add body to beer are:

Mashing at higher temperatures
Choosing less attenuative yeast strains
Addition of dextrin or carapils malts
Addition of maltodextrin as CK suggested

Aside from those points, a very high mash efficiency will often lead to lower body or watery beer as the high extraction leaches out some undesirable compounds. 

Back