• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

boil time and mash volumes

loki28

Apprentice
Reaction score
When I change my boil time on the design tab from 60 to 90 my mash volumes don't change.  I would think that the volumes should increase.  I saved the recipe and close it then reopened but the volumes don't change.  What am I missing?

Thanks,

Scott

In your equipment profile, is the boiloff rate set as hourly? If not, BeerSmith treats that volume as absolute, regardless of time.

I double checked that boiloff rate is set to hourly.
When I use "edit equipment profile for this recipe" and change the boil time from 60 to 90 the post boil volume changes from 5.73 to 5.48 but when I check the mash volumes they stay the same.

When you say the mash volume is not increasing are you comparing both the initial infusion volume and the sparge volumes? 

The initial infusion volume is regulated by the equipment and mash profiles.  Any increase in volume due to increased time or boil off volume would be seen in the sparge volume.

When desiring BeerSmith to automatically calculate boil volume, that box (just above boil volume) must be checked. This will change the sparge volume to accommodate.

Not checking it means you've told BeerSmith that the boil is extended, but you might not have room for more wort preboil and you'll adjust it yourself.

Back