• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Quality

NBBrewer

Apprentice
Reaction score
Does anyone suggest any modifications to my water for brewing?

Attachments

• water quality.jpg
    water quality.jpg
    789.6 KB · Views: 19
Unfortunately, this isn't readable to me. You seem to need a new ink cartridge.

Water modifications are for two reasons: mash pH and flavor goals. Lacking more information about your methods and goals, there isn't too much to tell you.

I am brewing IPAs and stouts and plan to brew some pilsner.

Thanks Brewfun. I reposted a photo of my water report. Scanning doesn't use ink. Should I add some calcium sulphite to add calcium and lower my pH to between 5.2 and 5.5 before or after the mash and boil? I suppose my sparge water pH should be adjusted as well.

brewfun said:

Water modifications are for two reasons: mash pH and flavor goals. Lacking more information about your methods and goals, there isn't too much to tell you.

NBBrewer said:
Thanks Brewfun. I reposted a photo of my water report. Scanning doesn't use ink. Should I add some calcium sulphite to add calcium and lower my pH to between 5.2 and 5.5 before or after the mash and boil? I suppose my sparge water pH should be adjusted as well.

brewfun said:

You should be able to lower pH with just a normal mash enough, but you have some mild water. My well water is loaded with copper. Which gives me a metallic taste. Damn "naturally" occuring copper lol.

I am also looking into using acidulated malt to bring my pH down so the enzymes can convert the starches to fermentable sugars.

NBBrewer said:
I am also looking into using acidulated malt to bring my pH down so the enzymes can convert the starches to fermentable sugars.

Go lightly on acid malt can throw off flavors if you overdo it.

NBBrewer said:
Should I add some calcium sulphite to add calcium and lower my pH to between 5.2 and 5.5 before or after the mash and boil? I suppose my sparge water pH should be adjusted as well.

Minerals to adjust pH apply to the mash. Added later, during the boil, they are intended for flavor impact and that'll depend on the recipe. The goals of IPA is just about the opposite of most lagers. That said, you can almost never go wrong adding some calcium (as sulfate or chloride) to water that seems to be as soft as yours.

The far right column is not labeled. Is this from a specific sample that you had tested?

NBBrewer said:

Have you experienced high mash pH? You'd use it to buffer your residual alkalinity, which seems moderately low. For me, an all pale malt grist has never required more than 5% acidulated malt to buffer pH.

Back