• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe Tab Properties

dryflybrewery

Apprentice
Reaction score
Newbie to BeerSmith Software, just finished by first brew with the software.  One problem I'm having is losing track of which folder the Recipe Tab is from, I might have recipe tabs from MyRecipes, BrewLog, or the Cloud, they all look alike, so very easy when making changes to use the wrong tab.  Is there a way from the tab to determine the folder property? 

Also, nice feature to add would be to prominently display in the Recipe Tab View, its location folder.

Wayne
Note: I moved this question from 'Tips', sorry for the duplication

I created folders for different styles and different steps to keep track of everything. You can do the same or just go to a more friendly view of your folders by going into the "View" menu and clicking "Show/Hide Sidebar". This will display the categories of your folders on the left side of the screen. You can then expand a category by clicking on it. Click on it again and it will go back to how it was.

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the info, but still having the same problem, maybe I can explain it better.
If I open a recipe say 'Pale Ale' in My Recipes, then in BrewLog, then again in the Cloud, I now have 3 tabs open with the same recipe.  At this point, I can't tell which folder they came from.  I have resorted to closing all tabs and only opening the one I want to work on, just hoping there was a better method.

Wayne

OK, that makes it much clearer. Even though I have folders for each of the styles I brew, I keep them all in the "My Recipes" folder. Since I only use my laptop for things brewing I see no need to use the cloud. Also, the only time I use the brew log is for recipes that I want to re-brew and adjust. I really see no reason to open the recipe from more than one source folder.

That said, If you assign a number to each of the folders, like 1 for My Recipes, 2 for the cloud and 3 for the brew log, and preface the recipes names to correspond, you'd know which is which when you open multiple copies. For instance: 1 Cascade Pale Ale, 2 Cascade Pale Ale, etc.

As you use BeerSmith you'll find more and more features and ways to do things to fit your needs. I have used BS2 since its introduction and BS1.4 prior to that and still find new things.

I believe that Brad realizes how diverse the brewers using this software are and made it extremely customizable to fit that diversity.

Hope this helps.

Hey Wayne,

Keep in mind you are looking at 3 different recipes when you open a tab from each folder location.  Each can have different parameters, profiles, notes, etc.  Everything is stored with each recipe.  You might open them in separate table to compare them.

I look at it this way:
Recipe is the base recipe.  If I want to change the base, I change this copy. 

Brew Log is based on the original recipe.  You create a copy for every batch (there is an icon for this).  It may contain different hops, grains, process, notes, whatever I may have changed for that batch.  Keeping excellent notes helps repeat a batch.  Sometimes you update the master recipe when a certain batch was changed and now you want that as a base. 

Cloud is either a copy of the base recipe or a copy of brew log version.  The only uses for cloud for me would be to share with others.  I don't use the mobile version. but if I did I might access the ingredients while shopping at my local homebrew shop or be able to access the recipe (where I would use the Brew Log copy) on brew day.

Again, these are my uses / opinions.

There you go Wayne. You can see that jomebrew and I use BS a little differently, but it suits both of our needs. Hang in there and you'll soon learn what works for you.

Thanks to you all for your help, Bob, I'll give your 'Keep folder info in the Name technique' looks like the best way to go for now.  Jomebrew, ya there are a bunch of folder location options, especially with the new Cloud system.  I'm aware that they are all independently editable, that is kind of the problem, easy get mixed up and updating the wrong Recipe.

Wayne

Back