• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BIAB No Chill Method

BobtheBrewer

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have had Beersmith for many years but haven't used it because it seemed too complicated for me.  I have finally given it a go, put in a couple of my favourite recipes and my IBU figure is in the basement with one but OK with the other.  I use the no chill method, ie. transfer the hot wort to a cube and let it cool naturally overnight.  I have been led to believe that this method extracts more bitterness from hops.  I cannot find anything in Beersmith which refers to the no chill method.  Am I missing something?

Bob,

If you go into your equipment profile, there is a section in the lower right of the screen for whirlpool bitterness calculations.  You can use this for no-chill brewing calculations if you know approximately how long it takes for the cube temperature to fall down to below 85?C you can set this time and check the box to calculate IBU from boil hops into the whirlpool.  I've attached a screen clip of this area.

Attachments

• nochill settings.JPG
    nochill settings.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 966
if you minus 5 minutes from the hop additions (the later Ones) the bitterness seem to be close to what the original recipe with standard wort chilling gives.  YMMV.

Back