• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith on Apple Mac OS

jurgenfd

Apprentice
Reaction score
Beersmith is a program I can't do without and the only program for me I can't run natively on my Mac.

Emulation has been good today but is flakey at other times. Seriously I keep a 10 year old laptop running MS just for this program. I bought other Mac software like Beersmith but didn't like it as much.

I didn't find a topic here about nagging Brad about it so I started one;-) I realize it's not a trivial port.

Please sign this petition... Any macies out there?

Hi,
  I'm working on it (slowly).  I'm actually doing a complete rewrite of BeerSmith on a cross platform development library so it can run on the Mac.  However, it is a really large project and will take some time...

Thanks,
Brad

I will add my voice to the cause of Beersmith for Mac.
Great program, probably the best out there, can't wait to see it designed and running on stylish Mac interface.
Any news on progress?

This is the best news I've seen in ages!

I loaded VMware Fusion and windoze on my Mac just so I can run BeerSmith.  I tried Mac brewing software but it just doesn't cut it.

If you want testers let me know be keen to help

Grabman

Ya We Need Beer Smith for Mac.  I purchased BeerSmith for my PC.  It took a crap so I bought a new MacBook Pro.  And now I dont have my Beer Smith!!!

I'm working on it - it is a large project involving a complete rewrite, but I chip a little bit off each day.

Cheers,
Brad

1) Interesting... does the crossplatform library permit other OS systems, such as Linux?

2) To add something to the earlier posts, you folks did see this  correct? :
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Installing

Assuming your OS X is Intel (only, no PPC) and you have the patience to install WINE (not hard), it could provide a lot better performance. WINE is how I run BeerSmith, under Linux. WINE is about the same on OS X so it should work fine... this would be better than firing up an old Win98 laptop, or running under a full copy of Windows under Virtual PC etc.

Hi,
  1) Yes, I'm using wxWidgets which works native in Windows, Linux and Mac. 
  2) Yes, I believe you can use Wine to run BeerSmith under Mac.  I have not tried it myself, but I believe some people have.

Cheers,
Brad

Going well,
  Earliest for release would be next fall.  Its a massive effort to rewrite the entire platform, plus add many of the features people have wanted to have over the years.

Cheers,
Brad

Will those of us who purchased BeerSmith in PC formate have to repurchase the MacOS version, or will we be able to change our Operating System and keep our same registration.

Hi,
 We have not set the price, but the new version will be available as an upgrade, likely at a discount for existing users.

I plan to have the registration codes work across both systems for those who have a Mac and PC.

Brad

BTW, MAC users, I use a program called "Crossover" which runs Beersmith on my MAC in Leopard without starting any virtual machine. Its fast and I can print to my MAC printers, or export right to my "Documents" folder. It runs as a normal application, which means you can size it and move it just like any MAC app. Crossover can run pretty much any windows application this way. I believe it used the "Wine" platform under the covers, but I did not have to install or configure Wine for this to work.

For the Mac folks - you will be happy to hear that I have an early version of BeerSmith working on my Mac now.  Still lots of work to do before a formal release, but it is moving forward.

VR
Brad

Hi!

I´ve installed Wine, and also XQuartz, but I really don´t understand how to use these program to run Beersmith.exe on my Macbook (OS 10.5.7), is there anybody out there that can help me out?

Thanks in advance!

BeerSmith said:
For the Mac folks - you will be happy to hear that I have an early version of BeerSmith working on my Mac now.  Still lots of work to do before a formal release, but it is moving forward.

VR
Brad

Great news! If you are looking for beta testers I would be interested. I have heard that Beer Smith is the best and I can't wait to try it out.

BeerSmith said:

VR
Brad
PHENOMENAL!!

Customers are lining up, ready to make the hard work (hopefully!) worth it. Can't !@$@ WAIT!!

Definitely interested in this as well as I just switched over and find Beer Alchemy to be lacking all the features I've come to know and love in BeerSmith.

Any news on a possible beta?  I'm also a software developer and can promise you high quality testing with well documented and actionable feedback.

Dave.

I would LOVE to volunteer for a Beta Test deal. IF and/or WHEN it is available I would love a stab at it.

Please HURRY!!!!!!!

Here's another Mac user anxiously awaiting the port/rewrite.  Keep up the good work!

Back