• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding Dough In to Double Infusion Mash

kgranger

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am brewing a clone of Schneider Weisse Original, source recipe found here:
https://byo.com/recipe/schneider-sohn-schneider-weisse-original-clone/

It recommends a dough in @ 99? F for 30 min using 2 qts of water and a 2:1 liquor to grist ratio, then protein rest @ 145? for 20 min, and final rest @145? for 60 min.

It suggests an infusion of hot water to achieve the steps, and I want to use BeerSmith to help calculate how much water to add and at what temp, as the recipe instructions are a bit vague in this regard (other than the 2 quarts at dough in)

BeerSmith has an option for Double Infusion, however I am having trouble adding in the dough in step. I add a mash step, put it at the top and changed step temp to 99?, and kind followed this idea with the other two steps, but I feel like it is suggesting I add a lot of water. I don't want to thin it out too much.

I just want to make sure I am doing it right, so can anyone help me enter this data into the software correctly?

The highest temperature water you can infuse at sea level atmospheric pressure theoretically is 212*F less losses while adding and mixing. It takes a given amount of infusion water at this temperature to raise the temperature of a given volume of mash from temperature "x" to temperature "y". Barring errors in calculations, physics determines the amount of the infusion, not Beersmith.

With that said, with today's highly modified malts there is seldom a valid reason for a multi step mash.

I looked at the recipe, and it says to add 2 GALLONS of water at the start, not 2 quarts. It says that is a 2:1 liquor:grist ratio, but it doesn't say on what basis. It turns out that is on a volume basis, not the way the BeerSmith does it. Beersmith uses quarts/lb (volume to weight) as the way to express mash thickness, and it sees this as a ratio of 0.69 qts/lb, which is very thick. After that, if you add another 7 qts of water at 211 F you will end up at 145 with a mash thickness of 1.29 qts/lb, which is close to the standard of 1.25.

--GF

Back