• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help converting an extract recipe to all grain

gfmonk1111

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a old Continental Light extract recipe that I would like to convert to a all grain recipe. It was a pretty simple recipe and only had two extracts.

4 lbs Alexander's Light
3.3 lbs Edme Light

I was going to substitute the following...

5 lbs 2-row Rahr
4.5 lbs Maris Otter

If it makes a difference I'm using a Grainfather.

Thanks for the help!!

I am not familiar with these extracts, but if they are like other ones then it looks about right if you have good mash efficiency. Is the Alexander's Light a liquid or dry extract? Here are calculations for both. Dried extract generally has 44 points/lb/gallon and liquid has about 36 points/lb/gallon. Maris Otter has a potential of about 38 ppg and 2-row base malt about 36 ppg. These grain numbers must be multiplied by your mash efficiency to get the real points extracted.

Extract 1: 4 lbs liquid + 3.3 lbs dry
4*36+3.3*44=289.2 points per gallon

Extract 2: 7.7 lbs dry
7.7*44=338.8 points per gallon

Grains:
5*36+4.5*38=351 points per gallon at 100% efficiency

If your mash efficiency is 80% then the grains would give 280.8 points per gallon, which is close to Extract 1 but significantly lower than Extract 2. If your mash efficiency is higher or lower then you can adjust and make the comparison. In terms of flavor, I can't really say because I don't know anything about those extracts, but an almost equal mix of Maris Otter and base 2-row should give you some nice but mild flavor.

--GF

Thank you for the response.

The Alexanders is a liquid.

I'm using a Grainfather so my efficiency should be fairly high. I'm using 80% in my calculations.

I'm looking for a starting SG around 1.049.

I don't know what your trub losses are, but if they are somewhere around 0.5 gallon then you would get SG of 1.051 with 80% mash efficiency, so close to your target.
(351 points per gallon/5 gallons)* 0.8 mash efficiency*(5 gallons into fermenter/5.5 gallons total) = 51

--GF

Back