• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Keeping hop additions unchanged while adjusting gravity

forzo

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is it possible to only adjust the grains when using the "Adjust gravity" function? As it is now it also changes the hop additions which is quite annoying when playing around with a recipe. Using 2.3.7.

When using the OG slider, the program adjusts the hops to keep the IBU level the same.  If you are using the Tinseth IBU model, then the expected IBU will change with the gravity of the wort, so the program tries to keep the IBU on target, thus changing the hop amounts.  In actual practice, I think the programmer envisioned the sliders to be used for minor adjustments of target values, so wanted to keep the targets independent and allow the program to adjust the ingredients to suit.

If it were to keep the hop amounts constant, then the IBU would drop as you increase the gravity.  So it is a matter of what the programmer deemed most important to him and what he envisioned most people would want. 

Yes I know and I can understand the logic behind it but it seems kind of weird that you cannot change it, a simple checkbox or something in the options would suffice. Was hoping that there was some option hidden somewhere but I cannot find it so I guess it is hardcoded... Is there any way to work around it?

Back