• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Best Practices for backup and restore of Beersmith 2

steveinpa

Apprentice
Reaction score
My Windows 10 image has issues and I need to do a clean install of Windows. Which means BeerSmith 2 will need to be re-installed. I have many years history and do not want to loose anything. Last time I re-installed Windows, I nearly lost everything.
Currently I have BeerSmith 2 install on a Windows 10 laptop with my Documents Directory located on my One Drive local file (C:\Users\my-user-account\OneDrive\Documents\BeerSmith) so everything is synced to my OneDrive cloud.

My question is after I re-install Windows, then set up One-drive so I have my BeerSmith documents Directory, and re-install BeerSmith, How do I point the new install of BeerSmith to recover all my files yet keep them synced and not overwrite them.

What is best practice to reinstall and recover?

Thank you, cheers

Steve

First of all, copy your BeerSmith2 directory and all of its sub directories to a safe place. When you re-install BeerSmith it will create a directory Documents/BeerSmith2 and put default files into it, deleting anything else that might have been there previously. You can direct BeerSmith to use a different default directory by opening BeerSmith and selecting File->Change Documents Directory. You can point this to your OneDrive directory, but when you do so it will erase all files in that directory and replace them with BeerSmith default files. You can then close BeerSmith and copy all of your files from your backup into that directory.

Warning: I have not tried this procedure, but have read of others doing this. The important thing is to be sure you have a complete copy of your existing BeerSmith folder and everything below it before doing anything.

--GF

Hey GF,

Thanks for confirming. In fact I took it up a notch. I had all my files in the BeerSmith coments folder backed up on my OneDrive.

I re-imaged my laptop and installed BeerSmith2. I also installed Beersmith2 on my PC. I created a new folder on my OneDrive called Beersmithdocuments. I pointed both the PC and the laptop to that empty folder and you are corrected, it moved the base files to that new directory. Once both PCs were synced, I copied the backup into the new directory. Opened Beersmith and all my files were there.

Thank you for the confirmation
Steve

Back