• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith for Linux?

MTBrewer

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I've read somewheres, that BeerSmith's Linux version is not up to par with the Winblows version. Any Pros or Cons about that?

I currently have BeerSmith 2 running on both my laptops that have Win7 Pro on them, but I'd like more info on the Linux version before I buy that one. I plan to use BeerSmith on two laptops, one which is my main laptop with Debian, and one for the brewroom that runs antiX (may change to MX tho). Right now both laptops have BeerSmith2 windows version on them.

I am currently using Debian 9.3 on a dual-boot with Win7 Pro. I prefer using Linux to Win, so I'd like to get opinions on the Linux version - the download page says Ubuntu (which I detest), but will it work well on Debian, Suse, Arch or other Linux distributions?

I tried Brewtarget (a Linux package) from the Debian packages, but it seems like it's still in the dark ages, and may well be a dead project AFAIK.

For now I have to switch back and forth from my Debian Linux partition to my Win7 partition to use BeerSmith, when it would be much easier to have a BeerSmith install on both partitions. I know updating and syncing the recipes might be a hassle between the two, but I would have to do that with Brewtarget anyways if that was up to snuff, so using the same program would be more useful than using two different ones.

Any help, advice, pros and cons that would aid me (and possibly other potential buyers/users) in making an informed decision would be appreciated.
TIA

MTBrewer said:
I've read somewheres, that BeerSmith's Linux version is not up to par with the Winblows version. Any Pros or Cons about that?

I currently have BeerSmith 2 running on both my laptops that have Win7 Pro on them, but I'd like more info on the Linux version before I buy that one. I plan to use BeerSmith on two laptops, one which is my main laptop with Debian, and one for the brewroom that runs antiX (may change to MX tho). Right now both laptops have BeerSmith2 windows version on them.

I am currently using Debian 9.3 on a dual-boot with Win7 Pro. I prefer using Linux to Win, so I'd like to get opinions on the Linux version - the download page says Ubuntu (which I detest), but will it work well on Debian, Suse, Arch or other Linux distributions?

I tried Brewtarget (a Linux package) from the Debian packages, but it seems like it's still in the dark ages, and may well be a dead project AFAIK.

For now I have to switch back and forth from my Debian Linux partition to my Win7 partition to use BeerSmith, when it would be much easier to have a BeerSmith install on both partitions. I know updating and syncing the recipes might be a hassle between the two, but I would have to do that with Brewtarget anyways if that was up to snuff, so using the same program would be more useful than using two different ones.

Any help, advice, pros and cons that would aid me (and possibly other potential buyers/users) in making an informed decision would be appreciated.
TIA

I use windows mostly but do use Linux on 1 laptop and a lot of people have said that a couple Linux updates broke beersmith on Linux. You would have to ask Brad or some of the others for more details. But the windows and Mac versions are the most fleshed out

BeerSmith worked great on Ubuntu Linux 16.04.  Since I upgraded to 18.04, however, it's stopped working. Segmentation fault on program startup.

I really hope the BeerSmith developer will support Ubuntu 18.04!

I got it working on Ubuntu 18.04 by installing the following missing package:

(64bits Ubuntu) https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/amd64/libpng12-0/download
(32bits Ubuntu) https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/i386/libpng12-0/download

I've tried it on Debian, MX, and antiX Linux distros - NO GO! As much as I like MX and antiX, I may have to try out Ubuntu(ughhhh), and see if I can use that, then I'll buy the BeerSmith3 version which just recently came out.
Thanks for the replies.

BTW: I'm not a computer geek - (more of a computer illiterate), so if someone has managed to get the Linux version to work on MX or antiX, I'd appreciate some help and guidance to be able to use those distros instead of Ubuntu!

tijo said:
I got it working on Ubuntu 18.04 by installing the following missing package:

(64bits Ubuntu) https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/amd64/libpng12-0/download
(32bits Ubuntu) https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/i386/libpng12-0/download

I just upgraded from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS to 18.04. LTS and ran into the same problem.
The link with the libpng 12-0 installation resolved it.
Thanks!

Back