• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

mash temp and alcohol?

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Just curious but does an all grain batch that was mashed at 158 produce the same amount of alcohol as an all grain batch that was mashed at 148-150 (All other things being equal)?  My thinking is that the batch mashed at a higher temp will produce more unfermentables and thus, a lower alcohol (though malter) beer?

My second question, which is really dependent on the first is does BeerSmith account for this when calculating alcohol?

Finally, should you expect an efficiency difference when mashing at higher temps as compared to lower mash temps?

Thanks a mil

Hi,
  Mashing at a lower temp will result in higher yeast attenuation and slightly higher finished alcohol content, all other things being equal.

BeerSmith does not include this in the "estimated FG" calculation, but it is on my list of "to do".

You won't necessarily see an efficiency difference since the mash temp affects the FG more than the OG.

Cheers,
Brad

I was just reading about this recently and recall Papazian saying that the best yield is at a mash temp of 149.
Personally I try to target my mash for between 145 and 150.
According to him lower temps don't give much additional benefit, while higher temps will produce a final product with less alcohol with more body (and a higher F.G.).

Hi,
I just want to say that I like this site as here I got too much stuff to discuss about alcoholism.
Today alcohol is ruining life of so many persons. So we need to remove this alcohol word.

============================
Eathen
Alcohol Rehabilitation

Eathen said:
Hi,
I just want to say that I like this site as here I got too much stuff to discuss about alcoholism.
Today alcohol is ruining life of so many persons. So we need to remove this alcohol word.
Alcohol Rehabilitation

OoooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhKayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ::)

No offence intended but I think you are on the wrong site.    ::) ::)

Eathen said:
Hi,

============================
Eathen
Alcohol Rehabilitation

You maybe right about alcohol ruining some people lifes, however from my experience with homebrewers, making good beer is not about alcohol.  It has some to do with it, but it is mostly about having fun making a beverage.  As a local brewery in Holland MI puts it,"Art in Fermentaion Form."  My advise to you would be if you have a problem get your self an accountablity partner, and maybe a content filter to keep you from web sites that may temp you.  There is nothing wrong with alcohol if it is used in moderation and you are responsible when you comsume it

I am newly join this site. I think People are well addicted towards alcohol and are facing trouble to get rid of them. I think As this is not a possible thing to do. For those alcohol rehab centers were established and these give treatments top the people who are well addicted towards alcohol. So i think this type of alcohol as we can provide we those various drug rehab centers.
====================
johnleave
alcoholism treatment

Not another one... ... ...

I am well addicted towards "making" alcohol and are facing trouble to get rid of them that oppose me doing so.

Sometimes I wish I was an Admin... .. .

Cheers
Preston

What I struggle with is that I had trouble getting my login.  The webmaster emails kept getting knocked off by my spam busta.  But I was determined to be part of the group after I got BeerSmith.

Self help folks-thanks but no thanks- Most of the people here share in the hobby/art. a lot have PAID to support a great software program to aid in that.

This forum is for all of us to work in a virtual environment to aide in the betterment of our craft.

I alcholo thnki is bad.  Hmoebrewering should be illgelal.

Pleaze shpping all old adn new qeupment to my houme; as wel as all old, fillled botles wth ur brew to me tooo.

I gvie u adress if neded.

You should know the previous was a joke - UNLESS you really do need to give your gear to someone!  If so, shoot me an e-mail and we can work something out  ;)

Back