• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

WHAT AM I BREWIN? EXTRACT, PARTIAL, ALL GRAIN?

If all or the majority of your fermentable sugars (gravity points) are coming from extract, then you are doing either an extract or partial mash recipe. 

If the recipe also calls for a base malt, that is a malt which contains enzymes -- usually expressed in the grain profile as having a diastatic potential or power, to make up some of the fermentable sugars, then you are doing a partial mash. 

If there are no base malts and only specialty malts (those malts not needing to be mashed -- expressed as 'must mash = false' in the grain profile) then you are making an extract recipe.

If the majority of the fermentable sugars are coming from grains with the majority of them being a base malt as described above, then you are doing an all-grain recipe.

So for instance what would this recipe be considered as? And thanks for sharing all this information

So for that recipe, I would label that a partial mash recipe.  You have a good amount of enzyme containing material in the oat malt which is needed to convert the starches in the flaked malt (non-enzymatic, non-converted starches).  Still, the majority of your sugars will be coming from the extract in the recipe.

will I need to mash out? sparge? This is all being conducted in a BIAB method
7 gallons to start
6lb flaked oats
15 lbs 2 row?

Neil said:
will I need to mash out? sparge? This is all being conducted in a BIAB method
7 gallons to start
6lb flaked oats
15 lbs 2 row?

Is this a new recipe from the one you posted above?  If it is an all-grain recipe do you have enough volume in your kettle to hold the total volume of water plus the grains to do a full volume mash?  If not, then you will need to figure out how you want to sparge or if you just wanted to top up your brew kettle with water (I would recommend sparging). 

My philosophy on mash outs is that it is a good step to stop enzyme activity if you are doing a long sparge process (such as a fly sparge) or if you need better fluidity of the wort for good drainage from a very thick mash.  When I do BIAB or a batch sparge, I am heating the first collected wort up towards a boil within 10 minutes of separation of grains from the wort and this time is pretty consistent, so I do not bother with a mash out.  You will need to figure out with your process if it is needed or not, or if you want to pursue it or not.  It boils down to personal preference and process consistency.

I adjusted the grain bill to achieve the desired abv. Is there a way to find out if this would all fit in my 10 gallon vessel before actually trying this during the brew day?

I have never sparged and honestly was not going to with this one. Does that cause a red flag in your eyes? Sorry for all these "basic" questions but obviously very new to this.

On the Mash and Volumes tabs there is an entry called "Mash Volume Needed" that tells you the total volume of grains and water. As long as that is comfortably below 10 gallons you should be OK.

--GF

That is two tabs: a Mash tab and a Vols tab. I don't have the mobile version so I don't know where the Mash Volume Needed would be found on it, but it should be there somewhere. If not, calculate the grain volume and add it to the water to get the total. Under Options->Advanced (desktop version) BeerSmith has a default value of 0.652 liters/kg of grain. That is equivalent to 0.065 gallons/lb

--GF

Back