• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Strange Readings

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Did a 6 gallon Wee Heavy using 17lb 2 row and 1lb Crystal 60. Cold pressed 1lb black patent for color. Initial gravity came out at 1.065. Now I took a reading after a week, and the yeaset had subsided, and it reads 1.032! This is odd as I used a high gravity yeast (Wyeast 1728) Is there a chance that my hydrometer could be off? Sampled the hydrometer runoff and there are no off flavors. Any idea?

BILLY BREW said:
Did a 6 gallon Wee Heavy using 17lb 2 row and 1lb Crystal 60. Cold pressed 1lb black patent for color. Initial gravity came out at 1.065. Now I took a reading after a week, and the yeaset had subsided, and it reads 1.032! This is odd as I used a high gravity yeast (Wyeast 1728) Is there a chance that my hydrometer could be off? Sampled the hydrometer runoff and there are no off flavors. Any idea?

Sounds like the yeast dropped out early that really seems way to high of a gravity. Gently shake the fermenters and get the yeast off the bottom and see if it doesn't go back to work. What temperature do you ferment at?

Late to respond, sorry. Did what you suggested, and it dropped to where it should have been. End result was yet another awesome batch. Thanks for the help fellas!

Back