• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Conflicting IBU calculations?

dipso123

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am seeing a lot of disparity in IBU calculations within BeerSmith. I am assuming user error but cannot seem to figure out what I need to change. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I was unsure of what to enter for SG in Hop Bitterness Tool so I entered the Est Pre-boil, but even when I change it to the Est OG it still is nowhere close to the recipe page calculation - as you can imagine the Tool numbers go down as the SG increases.

Thanks!

The recipe page calculates 57.5 IBUs and the Hop Bitterness Tool calculations are: Rager = 41.1, Tinseth = 40, Garetz = 22.

When I put your hops in, I get different numbers. I get 43.7 IBU.  When I change the batch volume to 6G, I get 40 IBU.

Comparing the tool to my recipe, I get 69.1 in the tool and 67.2 in my IPA recipe.    Adjusting my batch size to 5G adjust the recipe bitterness to match the tools calculation.

I tweaked numbers and found trub loss affects estimated IBU as does BH Efficiency.  A bit of trial and error, it seems the tool assume an efficiency of 60%.  The higher your efficiency, the lower the IBU.  Since my efficiency is 63.1%, my calculated IBU is a little lower

Thanks -- this makes sense and I'll fool around with these variables.

Back