• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Split Fermentation

edwolfe

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Is there (and if so, what is the best way to) track a split fermentation in BeerSmith 2? For example, I want to produce 10 gallons at the end of the boil, but I want to split the batch into 2 x 5-gallon fermenters and pitch a different yeast into each and possibly dry hop one and not the other. What's the best way to track this, especially the two yeasts and their gravities, in BeerSmith?

Thanks in advance

The only way to track this right now is to create two different recipes to track the changes between the split wort batch.  In essence you would have three recipes:  the master recipe for making the wort and the two splits tracking the different yeast/fermentation.

Brad wrote about splitting batches back in 2012 (http://beersmith.com/blog/2012/11/08/multiplying-your-beer-several-beers-from-one/), but didn't specify how to use Beersmith for these processes.  He did describe exactly what I would like to do:

"You can split a batch after the boil and ferment the wort into beer with varying yeast, fermentation schedules, and additions. Consider making a lager and an ale from a single batch! How about a wheat beer and fruit beer out of the same boiler? A spiced holiday ale along with a honey ale. The possibilities are endless."

We are into Beersmith v3.0 now, but I don't see any provision for batch splitting.  Maybe in an imminent update?

I think you are confusing Brad's Blog and podcast which is geared towards brewing and methods with the software which enables developing and tracking recipes.  The ability of the brewer to split batches and create two different beers from one basic mash is not supported in the present software and really takes two recipes to track the different batches as I described above.

Oginme's method of writing separate recipes also works for the partigyle method. One master recipe and two recipes, one each, for the 1st and second runnings.

Yes, I do use two separate recipes for partigyles - I enter the "spent" grains from the first mash at 25% their original weight into the second recipe and use about 1.75 gallons less water.  (I was doing 5 gallon BIAB batches at the time). 

Actually, I was referring to farther down in Brad's post in the section titled "Splitting Post Boil". He describes (as I quoted) exactly what I wish to do, but I didn't see a recommendation on how to manage it all in Beersmith.  I am actually doing the 3 recipe method as well - a "master" recipe for the mash and boil going into the two fermenters, then a "fermentation" recipe for each fermenter. 

Fr5ed said:
Actually, I was referring to farther down in Brad's post in the section titled "Splitting Post Boil". He describes (as I quoted) exactly what I wish to do, but I didn't see a recommendation on how to manage it all in Beersmith.  I am actually doing the 3 recipe method as well - a "master" recipe for the mash and boil going into the two fermenters, then a "fermentation" recipe for each fermenter.

For split fermentations, I use a method similar to what you've described. I created a fermentable called, coincidentally, "Beer Wort" with a yield of 1.046. I make an extract recipe for the split volume and add the weight of wort needed to get the correct OG (also the needed other ingredients and yeast). From there, it's just the fermentation and packaging desired for that batch.

Going back a step, for a master recipe that'll be split (not the same as partigyle), I've created a yeast called "Split Batch" with 0% attenuation and a fermentation schedule of 0 days. This leaves the anticipated FG the same as the OG (or nearly so). Without a yeast added, BeerSmith will assume 70% attenuation.

This method lets you create different reports for each part of the process, including the master recipe showing no fermentation.

EDIT: After posting, it occurred to me there could be an easier way. I played around a bit and posted my method in Tips.

The essential change is to just create a "Split Batch" equipment profile with zero losses, zero boil time/boil off and 100% BHE. The main recipe can be copied, then use scale recipe to the actual fermentation volume. From there, just add the specialty ingredients, yeast and fermentation profile.

@brewfun - this is great.  I followed this info and the steps at Tips to adjust/create profiles and recipes.  I will be using it this weekend on my first 10 gallon batch in my new 20 gallon Brew-Boss system...so it is a number of "firsts".  My numbers may be off, but I'll just adjust for the next session.  Thank you!

(P.S.  I may or may not have my 15 gallon Brew-Boss system listed for sale under Swap Meet.)

Fr5ed said:
I will be using it this weekend on my first 10 gallon batch in my new 20 gallon Brew-Boss system...so it is a number of "firsts". 

Thank you. I'm looking forward to your feedback. I hope the idea fits your needs IRL.

Back