• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Has anyone used WLP041?

Ck27

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has used White Labs WLP 041 Pacific Ale Yeast, Its been about 36 hours since I pitched and I'm still not seeing any krausen or a sign of active fermentation and was wondering if anyone has experienced slow performance like this with this specific strain, yeast was fresh, and the current temp is 65F.

I have not used that exact yeast, but I have used WY1332, which is (or was at one time) essentially the same strain. I have not noticed it to be a slow starter, but it is a slow finisher. I have a batch of Amber Ale going now that was pitched at around  62 and it went fast for a couple of days, then slowed down but continues to bubble slowly for many days. Krausen is finally falling after a week.

36 hours is too long, and that temperature should be fine. You might want to pitch some additional yeast in there. One of the reasons I make starters is so I can verify that my yeast is good with enough time to purchase a replacement before brew day if there is a problem.

--GF

GigaFemto said:
I have not used that exact yeast, but I have used WY1332, which is (or was at one time) essentially the same strain. I have not noticed it to be a slow starter, but it is a slow finisher. I have a batch of Amber Ale going now that was pitched at around  62 and it went fast for a couple of days, then slowed down but continues to bubble slowly for many days. Krausen is finally falling after a week.

36 hours is too long, and that temperature should be fine. You might want to pitch some additional yeast in there. One of the reasons I make starters is so I can verify that my yeast is good with enough time to purchase a replacement before brew day if there is a problem.

--GF

I did make a starter even though 99% of the time I don't need one. I have half a packet of US-05 and I might toss that in if it doesn't pick up soon, normally when I pitch then go to bed when I wake up the beer is usually already going. So I was pretty surprised but one time I had a Belgian yeast do the weirdest thing.

It fermented for 2 days, then the krausen fell then a week later it came back to life and finished out, and had no infection. it did that 2x and I have no idea what was going on with that yeast, but I figured this yeast was probably just doing something like that one.

Supposedly from what I read online this yeast is a british strain of yeast that is used in Portland by a couple breweries. Since most of the british strains ive used have fermented fast I'm pretty surprised.

Update: it now has a thin layer of normal looking krausen forming so I think it's fine I'll post a update soon I think the yeast was just lagging for some reason.

Back