• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Where to enter pump hose losses

tkline

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all - I'm new to beersmith2 and I'm trying to figure out where I can enter my total loss of liquid in my pump lines (it's 0.85 gallons for an entire brewday).  I have two questions tied to this:

[list type=decimal]
[*]I have an SS Brewtech mashtun with 0 deadspace, so I'm not losing any liquid under the false bottom.  I only lose a bit of water due to grain absorption but my calculation here is generally pretty accurate.  Should I be adding the .85 hose loss to the mash tun addition or lauter tun loss fields?  Or is there a better area to account for the loss?  I found these a bit confusing.
[*]Since next time I brew I'd ultimately want to add an additional .85 gallon to account for my loss, I don't want to dilute my mash.  How can I best add the .85 for the loss, and have my strike / sparge volume update, in addition to making sure my grain percentages scale up appropriately?  I think beersmith2 can do this but I'm confused how.
[/list]

Appreciate the help!

Loss to trub and chiller if you're dealing with your boil kettle. If you're dealing with your MLT it would be entered under Lauter Tun losses.

Thanks for the response.  I have already accounted for loss in my kettle due to trub and chiller, and I don't have any loses in my lauter tun besides the line loss and grain absorption.  Basically I'm losing pure water during pre-heating, strike and sparge steps, wort during transfer, wort during whirlpool, etc.  So I'm still not sure where I should be entering the .85 gallon loss.  Does that make sense?

I am trying to visualize your system.

When you add water to your kettle, you end up with 0.85 gal in the pump lines.  I am guessing that you use the same pump and lines to later add sparge water, recirculate or transfer the wort which is why your loss at the end is 0.85 gal as well.  If this is your process, then the initial 0.85 gal of water is 'mash tun addition', since it is later recovered when you turn the pump on to recirculate (whirlpool) and transfer the wort.  This same 0.85 gal is then lost at the end when you transfer the wort to your fermenter and you have accounted for it in your 'loss to trub and chiller' volume.

Let me know if this is what you are describing and how you operate your process or if I am missing something with my assumptions.

Thanks Oginme.  Here's a pic of my setup:

ncsHrNX.jpg

Basically from left to right, I'm using a 10 gallon SS Brewtech BME kettle as the hlt, a 10 gallon infusion mash tun in the middle, and another 10 gallon bme kettle as the boil kettle on the right.  Underneath the kettles and mash tun I have two pumps.  So basically during my brew day as I transfer liquid between vessels I'm losing whatever is in the line each time.

To get more specific about my process {Step, Loss Type, Loss Volume in Gallons}:

Boil-to-mash preheatWater
Mash-to-boil preheatWater0.09
Boil-to-mash strikeWater0.09
Mash VorlaufWort0.09
1st runnings transfer to boilWort0.09
Sparge-To-MashWater0.09
Mash VorlaufWort0.09
2nd runnings transfer to boilWort0.09
Boil recirculationWort0.06
Transfer to chronicleWort0.03

So in total I'm losing about .375 gallons of water, and .475 gallons of wort.  Does this make sense?  I already have my equipment profile setup to lose .5 gallons due to trub at the end of the boil, so that's not included in my .85 loss calculation.  So yeah really I'm trying to figure out where to enter in the aforementioned losses.  This week was my first time using this system and I never dealt with line losses before (used to have a very simple gravity setup).

Nice system.  I keep things real simple, so have not had to deal with pump losses.  There is a video though of someone setting up profiles in BeerSmith which may help with explaining how to work your losses into your equipment profile at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwEbjOt8OR8&t=6s

Back