• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Failed carbonation

M

Matt Lamers

I recent made a Imperial Stout that was aged with bourbon soaked oak.  My carbonation failed.  I have been homebrewing for about 6 months and new to all this.  I am hoping some of you experienced brewers could tell me what I did wrong.  For a 5 gallon batch I used 1.25 cups of DME and waited 2 week before trying it.  Do I need to give it more time or did I do something wrong.  Someone help!

My one and only attempt at an Imperial Stout never carbonated.
A few weeks ago I cracked on and it was still flat, three years later.
I must say it has aged well, every time I open one it is better than the last.
But it's still flat.

My only guess is that I maxed out the yeast.

A few questions.
1. How long was brew in secondary before bottling? If stored for a long period they may have needed a yeast infusion.
2. What temp were the bottles stored at? they should carbonate at room temp or slightly below. If stored cold they won't carbonate.
3. How did you add the DME? Boil with water put in bottling bucket then rack onto it. If poured in it may not have mixed consistently.
4. RDWHAHB. Two weeks may not have been long enough. Sample once a week or so to check for improvement.

Back